Strawberries in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boydak

Reaction score
What is the down side to putting frozen berries in at the same time as the wort?

The strawberries will ferment fully, leaving very little behind in the way of flavor, and the co2 will "blow off" some of the fruit aroma. You can get around that by adding a greater amount of strawberries, I believe.

As always Yooper..... You have an explanation that makes sense.

Thanks.

What about adding them to the primary in week number 3?

So when would you want to add the fruit? Secondary seems to be the answer according to my research. Why would you want to add them in the primary, does that offer a benefit that the second does not?

As always Yooper..... You have an explanation that makes sense.

Thanks.

What about adding them to the primary in week number 3?

I'm assuming the yeasties would wake up and gobble up all the sugar in the strawberries. I think Yooper's point was to add enough to overcome what the yeast will eat and still leave you some strawberry aroma, flavor, and color.

So when would you want to add the fruit? Secondary seems to be the answer according to my research. Why would you want to add them in the primary, does that offer a benefit that the second does not?

I tend not to use a secondary.

the benefit of adding to the primary is that you most likely wont get an over powering taste of strawberries. now if your going to add fruit to you beer be sure to add some Pectin enzyme (bad spelling) other wise you will have a haze to your beer that will never go away. also i would recommend that you put the strawberries in a hops bag before tossing them in. the strawberries will turn to mush during the fermentation process and can be a pain to get out after.

the benefit of adding to the primary is that you most likely wont get an over powering taste of strawberries. now if your going to add fruit to you beer be sure to add some Pectin enzyme (bad spelling) other wise you will have a haze to your beer that will never go away. also i would recommend that you put the strawberries in a hops bag before tossing them in. the strawberries will turn to mush during the fermentation process and can be a pain to get out after.

Can you imagine a circumstance where the haze would be a desirable trait? Is this just an aesthetic problem, or does the haze affect the taste/texture of the beer? I know with some of my beers, I prefer to have a haze, or cloudiness, to it. For example, I prefer a good Hefeweizen to a good Krystalweizen. Even though the taste is different, aesthetically speaking, I find the Hefe more pleasurable.

Back