Quantcast

Strategy to Shorten Serving Tubing

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

wardens355

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am currently trying to reduce the amount of serving tube I have to deal with for my freezer setup. I use picnic taps, no collar, 14.8 CF freezer with 8 kegs and a 20# CO2 tank. Right now I am at a serving pressure of 12-13 psi, 42F. I have several kegs with 10' to 12' of 3/16" Ultra Barrier Silver tubing. I was unhappy with having to use so much tubing to serve my beer at proper carb pressure, so I ordered some 1/8" Tygon tubing to shorten my tubing. I am using a 1/8" x 1/4" nipple and about an inch or so of 3/16" tube to connect to a picnic tap.

DSCF2465.jpg

DSCF2466.jpg

I hooked up a few lines to the kegs and they are pouring great. No foamy mess at all, and I think I could use 2' - 3' for a good pour. I call it success. Will use this setup moving forward and not have to have big coils of tubing on top of each keg.

cbenn22

Reaction score
I'll bump this because I think it's a great idea, and I have a quick question.

I know you used a 1/8" x 1/4" splice for the 1/8" to 3/16" connection.
Do you think I could get away with a 3/16" x 1/4" splice? Would the 1/8" Tygon fit over a 3/16" barb?

OP
wardens355

wardens355

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'll bump this because I think it's a great idea, and I have a quick question.

I know you used a 1/8" x 1/4" splice for the 1/8" to 3/16" connection.
Do you think I could get away with a 3/16" x 1/4" splice? Would the 1/8" Tygon fit over a 3/16" barb?
I don't have any 3/16" barbs, but I need to run to home depot today, so I'll bring a short length of 1/8" tubing to see if it might fit. I use the fitting here:

1/8 x 1/4 Splicer

Need to buy a decent amount of stuff to make the purchase make sense with shipping though.

OP
wardens355

wardens355

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Would the 1/8" Tygon fit over a 3/16" barb?
Tried this at the store today. Was a bit of a pain to get the 1/8" tubing over just one barb on a 3/16" barbed fitting (tubing wasn't heated up). If you soaked it in almost boiling water you could probably get it on with a bit of patience.

day_trippr

"Now brewing exclusively with Hydrohydroxic Acid"
Reaction score
fwiw, the only line length calculator worth using says two feet of 1/8" ID tubing would support dispensing pressure up to 16.something psi.

So this could certainly work if one has a dispensing system that could hook keg to faucet in two feet...

Cheers!

cbenn22

Reaction score
I don't have any 3/16" barbs, but I need to run to home depot today, so I'll bring a short length of 1/8" tubing to see if it might fit. I use the fitting here:

1/8 x 1/4 Splicer

Need to buy a decent amount of stuff to make the purchase make sense with shipping though.
I agree, shipping from the website is ridiculous, but if I use 4 of these to connect to my 4 shanks and 4 of these to connect to my disconnects, I'll only need ~12 feet of Tygon when replacing all 4 of my beer lines. 12 feet of 1/8" Tygon costs about $10 compared to the $20 or more that I would pay for 3/16" hose.

Have you noticed any problems with the beer coming "uncarbed" in the lines because of the pressure of the beer decreasing (Bernoulli) when it enters the 1/8" fittings.

fwiw, the only line length calculator worth using says two feet of 1/8" ID tubing would support dispensing pressure up to 16.something psi.

So this could certainly work if one has a dispensing system that could hook keg to faucet in two feet...

Cheers!
I've read that Tygon has a slightly less coefficient of friction so I'm hoping I can get away with using ~3 ft of line per keg and still have a reasonable speed pour.

raouliii

Reaction score
Looks like an interesting experiment.

wardens355, how is this working out after 8 months?
Since the cross-section of the tubing has been reduced by 1/3 with the drop from 3/16" to 1/8", has it had an affect on achievable flow rate?
Can you achieve a 10 second pint pour?

OP
wardens355

wardens355

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Have you noticed any problems with the beer coming "uncarbed" in the lines because of the pressure of the beer decreasing (Bernoulli) when it enters the 1/8" fittings.

I've read that Tygon has a slightly less coefficient of friction so I'm hoping I can get away with using ~3 ft of line per keg and still have a reasonable speed pour.
What pressure/temp do you typically operate at? I can let you know how long my lines actually are when I get home tonight and how long it takes to pour a pint. I have found that the line length estimated from Soltys' calculator is a bit short for me, but I typically overcarbonate a little bit since I frequently bottle straight from the keg. I buy the tubing by the 50' roll, so using 3-4 feet of line instead of 2-3 feet is not an issue for me, and I don't really care about time to pour, as long as it feels reasonable.

I occasionally have issues with foamy beer, but I have attributed it to a keg being a bit overcarbonated. I have not seen bubbles forming in the tubing under normal conditions, but some do form at lower pressures when I fill bottles.

Another plus of the small line is the relatively small volume that sits in the tubing between boozing. With the 12-foot 3/16" lines, approx 2.2 ounces sits in the lines, which is 13% of a pint pour or around 50% of a taster. With the 3-foot 1/8" lines, approx 0.2 ounces sits in the lines, which is 1.5% of a pint, 5% of a taster. I can sometimes detect off-flavors in beer that has sit in a line for a while, so I simply purge less than a shots worth and then pour.

how is this working out after 8 months?
Since the cross-section of the tubing has been reduced by 1/3 with the drop from 3/16" to 1/8", has it had an affect on achievable flow rate?
Can you achieve a 10 second pint pour?
I have been satisfied, especially considering the 100-feet of 3/16" line I would need in my 8-keg freezer if I didn't use 1/8" line. I don't have any issues with pour time, but I don't pay too much attention. I'll time a pint and let you know.

day_trippr

"Now brewing exclusively with Hydrohydroxic Acid"
Reaction score
[...]I have been satisfied, especially considering the 100-feet of 3/16" line I would need in my 8-keg freezer if I didn't use 1/8" line.[...]
Before that scares anyone, if using pvc lines (eg: Bevlex 200, which is pretty much the industry standard for that type of beer line) managing 12 foot runs per keg doesn't require much effort.

new_keezer_54_sm.jpg

Bev-Seal Ultra Series 235 users might face a greater challenge as their line lengths go up by about 50% and the bend radius increases.

Adding flow meters and a crapload of temperature sensors messes with the aesthetics a bit...

brewpints_47_sm.jpg

...but I can still swap a keg in around a minute.

Anyway, I suspect my worse-case runs would exceed four feet, which at a .125" ID would likely result in a dribbly pour...

Cheers! :mug:

OP
wardens355

wardens355

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Before that scares anyone, if using pvc lines (eg: Bevlex 200, which is pretty much the industry standard for that type of beer line) managing 12 foot runs per keg doesn't require much effort.

Anyway, I suspect my worse-case runs would exceed four feet, which at a .125" ID would likely result in a dribbly pour...

Cheers! :mug:
Since I use picnic taps (not faucets), and always open the freezer to pour, long lines just don't work for me. Too much clutter. I have a 5-foot serving line for when I have saisons on tap, I'll hook it up to my English and American style beers and check back in with how it pours.

OP
wardens355

wardens355

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First pour test - Pilsener at ~43F, 15 psi w/ 5-foot serving line. Around 16 seconds to pour a pint.

Second pour test - Hoppy lager at ~43F, 14 psi w/ 3-foot serving line. Around 12 seconds to pour a pint.

Latest posts