Strategy for swapping hoses and handling drips etc. ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hwk-I-St8

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am in the process of creating a single vessel eBIAB rig. I am just finishing up the controller, but since mine is using an induction burner, I've done two batches where I manually cycle the induction unit on/off based on temp, so the physical plumbing aspects of the rig are complete and tested.

The problem I'm running into, which isn't really unique to this particular system, is dealing with the drips/leaks that happen every time you disconnect a hose. A few examples:

At the end of mash. I shut down the pump and close the drain valve on the kettle. Eventually, I'm going to want to change the output hose from the pump from the recirc hose to a hose that connects to my WP arm. Even with the pump output valve closed, as soon as I disconnect the recirc hose, wort drips out of the pump and wants to run out of the recirc hose.

Similarly, after boil/whirlpool, I pump to the fermenter. I have a different hose that was a spray aerator on one end to aerate as I transfer. When I go to switch hoses, more leaks. The Whirlpool arm is jsut a SS arm that goes into the kettle from the top and it has no valve, so it actually wants to siphon out from the kettle.

Does anyone have tips, tricks, etc for managing this? I have a mop and bucket to mop the brewing area, but I'd prefer to minimize spills and eliminate tracking sticky wort around as I move about while brewing.

Help me please!

I have a bunch of hand towels I use for brew days to catch drips and spills, and before I pull hoses off, I pinch the hose at the end and hold it like that while I place it onto the new location

this is a good question, i have a 3 vessel eHerms sysem and i move hoses several times. i just keep some dishtowels handy and try move them as quickly as possible then wipe up right away. so i am in the same boat. if there is a solution i would be interested to hear some.

I used some dental tool trays, it fits under my valves and catches the drips. I also use a 3 way valve to keep hose removal to a minimum. I will probably add one more 3 way valve to allow me to only remove at the end to hang the hoses.

Attachments

• IMG_20200408_204849~3.jpg
    IMG_20200408_204849~3.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 46
Just upgraded my 3 vessel eHERMS system to get rid of my hose changes. Managed to score a second pump on CL at a good price, but since all the second pump does is pump clean water I imagine a cheap pump like this one would work just as well. A few three way valves and two pumps made it fairly easy to eliminate all the hose changes. I'm sure you could work out something simliar for BIAB. Attached is the diagram I sketched up; solid lines indicate water flow and dotted lines indicate hoses not currently in use.

Attachments

• eHERMS-No Hose Change.pdf
    132.4 KB · Views: 15
I bought a cheap pack of towels from Costco that I use to line the floor of my brew area. I also use small pans under some of the hose disconnects to get some of the larger drainage areas.

Latest posts

Back