Strange Yeast Color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richas

Reaction score
Hi,
I just pushed a Blonde into the secondary/serving tanks. The yeast used was a White Labs WLP001 California Ale.
The ferment was 3 weeks and temperature was controlled at 69 degrees. OG was ~1.05, FG ~ 1.006.

I have never seen these colors before. The yeast cake on the bottom looks normal. I do not detect any off flavors at this point.

Anyone seen this?

Rich

IMG_5906[1].jpg

The fermenter was a snarky keg. I had just welded a 4" sanitary flange on the top. Of course I scrubbed it out before.....

Rich

By the looks of it, it was near the surface of the beer. If so, it may be an infection with Rhodotorula, which is an oxidative yeast that has a bright orange/red pigment. Here's a picture of some colonies from one of my wild-yeast experiments:
PLATE%252004-ZOOM.png

The good news is that it would have died off early, due to increasing alcohol levels and decreasing oxygen. The bad news is that it can create some unpleasant flavours - nothing that will kill you, probably no reason to dump the batch, but you may have some unwanted off flavours (esters, in particular).

Bryan

By the looks of it, it was near the surface of the beer. If so, it may be an infection with Rhodotorula, which is an oxidative yeast that has a bright orange/red pigment. Here's a picture of some colonies from one of my wild-yeast experiments:
PLATE%252004-ZOOM.png

The good news is that it would have died off early, due to increasing alcohol levels and decreasing oxygen. The bad news is that it can create some unpleasant flavours - nothing that will kill you, probably no reason to dump the batch, but you may have some unwanted off flavours (esters, in particular).

Bryan

Very Interesting! I am going to guess that it had nothing to do with the new welds on this fermenter. I think it has more to do with this is the first batch done it it, it previously held Dos Equis and I probably did not do a good enough job scrubbing it out and sanitizing it.

My fingers crossed that the batch is still drinkable. I have it in the secondary now. It is now at 59 degrees, perhaps I should take it cold early to help stabilize it.....

Thanks for the insight.

Rich

Latest posts

Back