Strange LP Gas Surge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hopefully I have this in the correct section. I apologize if I missed it. I'm in the process of building a Brutus 10 kinda-clone. I have a propane bottle hooked up to the gas beam via a low pressure regulator. I turned on the bottle and charged the beam then I lit 1 burner. I get this gas surge about every other second the whole time. The regulator blows off then stops and the flame gets a little bigger then repeats. I can't smell any gas from the regulator but I can feel air flow coming out with my hand. If I plug the relief valve with my finger it slows down the surge but it still happens. Do you think I have a bad regulator or do I need a POL fitting instead of a QCC nut or am I off base all together? Thanks for your help in advance, Mike

IMG_20130830_170858.jpg

IMG_20130827_181018.jpg

Beautiful stand. Do you have some shots of the regulator. It sounds like that may be the issue. I have seen some regulators that are low pressure, but considered secondary regs and are not intended to reduce the hundreds of psi out of the tank as a primary would. Im not saying that is the case but could be a possibility.

Here's a picture of the regulator. The burners are just no name 6 inch burners. My buddy has the same with no problems.

IMG_20130830_230359.jpg

I would replace the regulator. It sounds like it could be sticking, which is resulting in a larger hysteresis than intended, hence the surge. Sometimes this can be resolved by tapping it with a large heavy object, but rebuilding/replacing is generally the better approach.

Agreed, for the relatively smaller price of a reg you may completely solve the issue. If its a newer one I'd contact the folks where you bought it from and see if they'll make it right.

Back