Strange fresh jalapeno flavor in a pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B33rL0v3r

Reaction score
I brewed 10 gallons of German Pilsner recently that has the strangest off-flavor note. For the life of me, I cannot figure out what it is. The best way to describe it is like fresh jalapeno. Almost like it was added but without any kick. I'm wondering if this flavor note could be acetaldehyde or DMS.

I did a 90 minute boil that was fairly rapid. For oxygenation, I used pure O2 at the time of pitching and then added a bit more 3 hours after pitching (well before fermentation started). I used a 5L starter with a stir plate and I'm right in line with the Mr Malty pitch rate calculator. So I don't think I strained the yeast. Pitched at 47F and free rise temp to 50F for 10 days before the 6 day D-Rest at 60F and a 3 day cold crash at 33F.

Yeast is WLP830, hops are all noble strains like Saaz, Tettnang and Hallertau.

Could this be a hint of unfinished acetaldehyde? DMS? Just a young beer that needs time to condition in the keg?

Thanks!

My first thought would be DMS but it sounded like you took all the precautions to prevent it...how fresh was your malt?

I brewed 10 gallons of German Pilsner recently that has the strangest off-flavor note. For the life of me, I cannot figure out what it is. The best way to describe it is like fresh jalapeno. Almost like it was added but without any kick. I'm wondering if this flavor note could be acetaldehyde or DMS.

I did a 90 minute boil that was fairly rapid. For oxygenation, I used pure O2 at the time of pitching and then added a bit more 3 hours after pitching (well before fermentation started). I used a 5L starter with a stir plate and I'm right in line with the Mr Malty pitch rate calculator. So I don't think I strained the yeast. Pitched at 47F and free rise temp to 50F for 10 days before the 6 day D-Rest at 60F and a 3 day cold crash at 33F.

Could this be a hint of unfinished acetaldehyde? DMS? Just a young beer that needs time to condition in the keg?

Thanks!
Alright, so strange question. It seems stupid but I'm going to ask anyway. If you hear the term white grape flavor, does that kind of describe the flavor as well? I know jalapeno and white grape are two different flavors but figured I'd ask. I get it in all German brews that I buy and I'm not a fan, but it seems to be kind of that "white whale" flavor that others who brew German beers are after. Wasn't sure if maybe you got that flavor in your brew and just aren't used to it.

So this flavor is most pronounced on the finish of a sip. I wouldn't call it white grape, but that's an interesting concept that I'll read more about.

This flavor is more like the aftertaste you get after biting into a jalapeno (without the spiciness) or green bell pepper. It does seem to be fading a bit with time, so maybe I just need to be more patient.

Regarding the question about my malt, I ordered milled grain and hops at a reputable online homebrew store and it was delivered quickly/only sat in my garage (which is 55F) for 3 days in sealed plastic bags. So something would've had to have happened to my ingredients that I don't know about.

Thanks!
acetalhdehyde is straight green apple. Way back in my early days, I got that a couple of times and whew undrinkable. I've also had a DMS beer and it was just like a can of creamed corn (also objectionable).

Perhaps that above doesn't help. If your beer has a straight vegetable flavor, perhaps it's loose hops debris. How clear is your beer? If it's cloudy, you might consider getting it cold and giving it time to let debris settle out.

Back