Strange Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrCat

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I was going to add some fruit to a batch, but never got round to it yet.

I just thought this may be an interesting post tho as I bet a lot of you have done some crazy experiments :)

What's the strangest/most unusual/least likely additive you've put in a brew. Either with or without success?

Once, I tried brewing a beer that contained a mouse in each bottle

bob-and-doug-mackenzie-try-to-get-free-beer-using-a-mouse-in-a-bottle.jpg

:ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban: :mug:

Sorry, I just had to with Strange Brew in the title :)

Rev.

Real Pork in last year's "pork chop stout"... I cooked a pork loin in water with no salt, drained off the water and skimmed off the fat, and used the remaining "gel" in the stout, which came out quite well in spite of the unconventional ingredient. I wanted to be able to say "a pork chop in every bottle" without being a complete liar ;-)

I also made a saison where half of the grain bill was Wheat Montana Multi Grain Cereal.... a variety of rolled grains. It was also a very nice beer.

H.W.

I recently made a Coconut Pecan Porter. It was the most daring I've ever been with my homebrew ingredients but it turned out excellent. Here is my 5 gal recipe:

10.5# 2 row
12oz Chocolate malt
1# C60
6oz Amber malt
8oz steel cut Oats
8oz rolled oats
1oz Northern Brewer 60 mins
1# sweetened Coconut @ 5mins
4oz chopped Pecans @ 2mins
WLP001 slurry.
Interestingly the beer had almost zero krausen in the fermenter which was likely due to the oils in the Coconut but the beer finished quite dry.

Latest posts

Back