straining wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jf31276

Reaction score
on my first batch of home brew i just added my hops to the wort. when i went to chill my wort with the counter flow chiller it got clogged. so i was told via video not to strain the hot wort because it could oxidize the wort. was just wondering if this was true or if i should just use the muslin bags for the hops
or is it ok to strain

Don't stress. You want oxygen in your beer before it goes into the fermentor. People on here spend lots of time and money on making or buying in-line contraptions to add oxygen to their beer coming out of the chiller. Are you sure the video said to not add oxygen pre fermentation?

it said not to strain HOT wort. i wanted to strain before running through the counter flow chiller

Next time bag your hops, or get/make a hop spider to keep the hop matter out of your CFC... I use a stainless steel hop spider to keep the hop matter out of my plate chiller. Does a damned great job of it too. I still need to clean some cold break out of the chiller after a batch goes through it, but that's not that big an issue.

Back