Straight from Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edsa1984

Reaction score
I've had a thought, dangerous I know, that I could secondary in a pressure barrel and if I left it long enough I could drink straight from it? This I thought is just like cask conditioning only a step earlier and without adding extra sugar. Is this possible, good or does anyone do this?

If you're careful in how you transfer from the primary, why, yes, you can do that.

Why are you secondary'ing? I have two brews cold crashing right now, in primary; I'll keg 'em and that'll be that. I'll let them age a bit if they're a little green, but I've given up using a secondary at all. Primary and then right into the keg.

If, on the other hand, you're adding stuff or there'll be a lot of trub in there, then you'll get that into the first pints you draw.

I've had a thought, dangerous I know, that I could secondary in a pressure barrel and if I left it long enough I could drink straight from it? This I thought is just like cask conditioning only a step earlier and without adding extra sugar. Is this possible, good or does anyone do this?

If you transfer at the exact right moment, with enough fermentation to continue to achieve the carbonation level you want.

What's a pressure barrel? Sounds like cask conditioning.

Way too much drama here.
All you need is a tight keg and a spunding valve.
Done all the time - heck, some folks go through primary with a spunding valve...

Cheers!

Back