stout type beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insnekamkze86

Reaction score
Hello there im going to be making a batch of a irish stout beer soon and was wondering if any one had a ideal how this might come out or taste.

It consists of a irish stout can extract combined with 4ibs of dark malt, a pound of raw cane sugar, and a pound of honey.

The other things i might put in it would be two tsp of burton water salts, and some cloves as a spice.

Is this a kit? Personally, I'd skip the cane sugar and honey in favor of more extract. Are you steeping or mashing the grains? 4lbs seems like a lot for steeping grains to me, but I haven't done that many extract kits.

sorry if i wasnt completly clear yest its a extract kit in a can theres no grains involved its already done for you. The dry malt is DME I want it to have a nice flavor to it and not just to be dry and bitter but with a nice alchol content as well. My last batch i only used 2lbs of malt and it tasted like it needed more malt to the batch.

It consists of a irish stout can extract combined with 4ibs of dark malt, a pound of raw cane sugar, and a pound of honey.

Would you care to further explain what the "irish stout can extract" is?

I would also say to ditch the cane sugar and honey. These will provide sugars to ferment to alcohol, but no body or other flavor really.

4lbs of dark DME is a lot to add on top of a kit. If you're looking at adding more flavor, you're better off steeping some grains instead. Roasted barley in particular will give you the dry and bitterness you're looking for.

its canned kit from coopers. last time i made it it was with 3 lbs of dark dme and a pound of cane sugar and it came out good but was a little to dry it ended up tasting like a dark english porter because of how dry it was. I like that taste but thats not what i was going for i wanted more a stout taste to it. Meaning a little bit more flavor in it besides more alcohol content. I was going to use the sugar and honey to boost the alcohol content since they are fermentable sugars for the beer.

well what kind of stout qualities are you looking for: oat, coffee, chocolate, roasted, etc? while steeping grains won't give you the same alcohol bump as the extract, it will give you a lot better flavor.

Back