Stout Tanks and Kettles - $400 14.5 Gal Conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've worked with john on ordeting a 20 gal brew pot. It did take a couple of calls to get a holds of him, but it's with it! He's very helpful and will make sure you get what you need. He's just very busy, but he'll get back to you. His turn around time is especially slow right now because the factory that makes all the products is going to be under construction real soon. I get my bk in jan, but I trust him and his product(s). I will post a review as soon as I get it and use it.

Regarding the post about the slow emails.

I apologize, but I do sometimes get slammed with many inquiries at the same time I am working on a new production run and/or shipping out a new batch of items. Funny how some days you get very few emails and other days more than you can handle!

Please try again if I don't get back to you. I have noticed recently several people who typed their email incorrectly in the website form and then I get an email bounce back when I reply. I'm pretty sure the guy who was asking about the fermenter with wheels is one of those.

Cheers,

John/Stout Tanks and Kettles

John, cheers for the email - which I got a couple of hours (if that) after the one I sent (I'm assuming the earlier one I sent last week got lost in teh interwebs, which happens from time to time, or I mistyped my email, which can happen!)

Hi bendavanza,

The short versions are special order items, so they would take until June. Our normal lead time for custom/special orders is 3 or 4 months, but the factory is going through a major renovation at the first of 2011 so we will not have custom items for a while.

We will have regular 14.5's back in stock in about a month.

Cheers,

Thanks for the update. I'll just deal with glass for the meantime. I'd have to get another fridge to accommodate a larger vessel. Maybe I'll find a nice upright freezer by then.

John, I think we're tryin' to tell ya that you should start carrying the shorts in stock! :p

UPDATE:

I just received my 14.5 Thermo-well fermenter yesterday and I can't be happier with my purchase!

All the welds are top notch and it is a very pretty looking conical. The fermenter was wrapped well for shipping. Only thing I would change so far would be longer legs. The clearance from the bottom of the conical with tri-clamp fitting attached is only about 10 inches. Other than that though I don't have any complaints.

John was very easy to deal with and very accommodating of my inquiries and needs. I will def be buying another in the future!

Now, I just cant wait to use it! I plan on calling in sick tomorrow so I can brew up a batch and get it fermenting. I already stopped by my LHBS and picked up ingredients! I will be brewing 10 glalons of a high-gravity Olde Ale!

UPDATE:

I just received my 14.5 Thermo-well fermenter yesterday and I can't be happier with my purchase!

All the welds are top notch and it is a very pretty looking conical. The fermenter was wrapped well for shipping. Only thing I would change so far would be longer legs. The clearance from the bottom of the conical with tri-clamp fitting attached is only about 10 inches. Other than that though I don't have any complaints.

John was very easy to deal with and very accommodating of my inquiries and needs. I will def be buying another in the future!

Now, I just cant wait to use it! I plan on calling in sick tomorrow so I can brew up a batch and get it fermenting. I already stopped by my LHBS and picked up ingredients! I will be brewing 10 glalons of a high-gravity Olde Ale!

I want one for Christmas....

NcBrewer35,
what did shipping cost you?

If i remember correctly it was $88. I live on the East Coast (North Carolina) though so since it was coming all the way from the West Coast (Oregan)I didn't feel that $88 for shipping was all that bad. The total bill was $533 or so.

If i remember correctly it was $88. I live on the East Coast (North Carolina) though so since it was coming all the way from the West Coast (Oregan)I didn't feel that $88 for shipping was all that bad. The total bill was $533 or so.

Thanks for the reply NcBrewer35;
Heck their shipping quote was $130 from Portland to the S.F. bay area for their 23 gal fermenter. This is only a 635 mile trip 10 hours 23 minutes by map quest. Your distance must be over 2,000 miles plus only $88 then S.F. should be $28 by mileage difference. Kind of sucks. I find their price out of line way too high this alone has stopped my purchase. I was also looking for someone heading south i'd guess $50 to $60 picked up from stout as a fair price.

HEY STOUT YOU READING THIS REPLY? Take note as I want a 23 gal tri clamp ferm.

Hi BrewBeemer - I see your reply.

I'm sorry that shipping costs so much, but we use UPS and they charge not for the actual weight, but for "dimensional weight." Since these things are so large, UPS charges as if they weighed much more than they do.

And it isn't only UPS, FedEx and all the others do it now. The problem is that these are big, and the shipping companies charge extra for that.

We just want to cover our costs on shipping, and we have to pass along the cost from UPS (or whoever we ship with).

Cheers,

John,
if I can get someone heading south to transport it I sure would purchase a fermenter, granted it's the shipping size vs weight that's the problem.
Heck I saw U-Haul charges $.79 a mile these days. To drive up and back would be a 1,270 miles trip gas alone would be off the charts besides a 20 minute max seat time limit.

What about freight services? It's not door to door but gets you town to town. I even had a motorcycle frame shipped with greyhound bus line for a reasonable rate.

I was going to mention Greyhound. I see bendavanza beet me to it. I've never checked with Greyhound, but have heard that their shipping is reasonable. Might be worth a check.

My fears what a 23 gal Stout Tank would look like after Greyhound finished compacting it in the luggage compartment? Maybe i'm wrong?

John,
has Stout Tank looked into Freight Services to ship?
S.F. bay area is a major shipping hub for pick ups.

Question for the Stout Tank owners out there. Are the lids on these things pressure-capable? I'm not planning on fermenting in them, but would want to use 3-4 psi to be able to push to my cornies, rather than messing around with gravity.

Stout Tank almost had a sale, it was the $130 shipping from Portland Oregon to S.F. a 23 gal that got me when a 14.5 gal to the east cost was only $88. WTF????
During this delay of a couple weeks ago wanting to purchase Gally posted his Brewhemoth ferm last sunday.
Monday talked to Dale & Josh, tuesday had my options price emailed tuesday ordered. Should arrive in a couple weeks no worries on my end.
I like the feature of no large seal to possibly leak, wear out or needing replacement plus cost, will they be around years later for replacement seals? One less place to harbor nasty bugs without it.

Stout Tank almost had a sale, it was the $130 shipping fron Portland Oregon to S.F. bay area for 23 gallon that got me when a 14.5 gal to the east cost was only $88. WTF????

If you remember what John posted above he said he was not making any money off the shipping and that the shipping cost is based entirely by size. I ordered a 14.5 gallon fermenter when you wanted a 23 gal fermenter which is clearly much larger.

I couldn't be happier with my purchase. John was a great guy to work with and I will be ordering more in the future!

Oh and as far as being able to hold pressure I'm not sure. I know it holds pressure from fermentation but I don't know how many psi fermentation creates. Plus the lid has an airlock allowing the built up psi to escape. You would have to do some small modification to make it hold pressure.

I respect John, he has a great product plus easy to deal with, a very competitive market plus shipping a 23 gal is much larger I agree. He doesn't set the shipping rates just passing them to the buyers. Nuff said, much success to him. Kind of like a chebbie or Ford thing. Prost.

Could you please post pics and a review once you are all set?

It's here!

fermenter.jpg

Not much to say that hasn't been said already, but worth repeating. Well packaged, bubble wrapped, framed in wood, and boxed. Nice welds, super shiny inside, the pics tell no lies. Can't wait to start using it! More to report after brew day on 12/30...

That is a thing of beauty! I ordered a 20 gal mlt from john, will be here in january. I need to save my pennies for a conical now!

I bought a fermenter from John and this guy is the best to work with. I had trouble with my fermenter and he made it right. I was so impressed with his product, I am buying another one from him after X-mas. It's hard to find a business that will put you first but he did. As far as the pressure, I've read elsewhere that brewers have used 3-4psi but I thought they talked about a certain attachment they put in the airlock. Don't know where they got it from or if they were just fos.

I spoke to John and he confirmed that the fermenter would be fine with the 3-4 psi needed to push the beer to kegs, which is all I really need it to hold (no intention of naturally carbing at 30psi in there, the potential for boomage is way too high). Add to that, John was pretty flexible in terms of customization, I wanted a 4" sanitary fitting welded to the lid, for adding hops and whatnot, and then welding a 1" fitting over the usual stopper hole, so I could add a triclamp blowoff, similar to what's available for the Blichmanns.

The only issue I have is the timing. Six months is just too long to wait for me to pay out the 70% deposit. I understand it's out of John's control, and when the time comes to add to my stable, I'm absolutely giving him a call, but for the first one, looks like I'm going with a Blichmann, and having someone weld some fittings on there down the road.

I ordered and received a 9.2 gallon kettle, and I am quite impressed with the gauge of the metal as well as the quality of the tri-clamp fitting. The packaging was fantastic and it included bubble wrap and two boxes. John provided very clear responses to my questions. I cannot wait to order the conical...but I have to.

I ordered and received a 9.2 gallon kettle, and I am quite impressed with the gauge of the metal as well as the quality of the tri-clamp fitting. The packaging was fantastic and it included bubble wrap and two boxes. John provided very clear responses to my questions. I cannot wait to order the conical...but I have to.

Any pics of that bad boy?

I would love to have some equipment from this company - but would like to understand the designs and end-to-end configuration a little more, too.

I wanted to comment on the "Do you need a jacketed fermenter" blog post on their site, too, because I disagree that the temperature of the beer in the fermenter equals ambient: I find that during vigorous fermentation the temperature at the center of the beer is several degrees higher than ambient.

I wanted to comment on the "Do you need a jacketed fermenter" blog post on their site, too, because I disagree that the temperature of the beer in the fermenter equals ambient: I find that during vigorous fermentation the temperature at the center of the beer is several degrees higher than ambient.

Absolutely. My 14+ gallon fermentors can spike as many as 8 degrees higher than ambient without active cooling of the ambient air around it (and sometimes a wet towel during peak fermentation)

Wow, that's surprising they'd say that. I mean, it's pretty common knowledge that fermentation is a thermic reaction.

I ended up going with a Morebeer conical - courtesy of a bundle of gift certificates from the wife, a 15% discount, and selling some bike parts that I didn't need. I'd absolutely have loved to have gotten what I wanted for almost half the price (by the time I added the wheels to the morebeer tank, it was back to being $900 with tax) but June is just too far down the road.

Absolutely. My 14+ gallon fermentors can spike as many as 8 degrees higher than ambient without active cooling of the ambient air around it (and sometimes a wet towel during peak fermentation)

At 8 degrees higher how many gallons you fermenting as well what was the ambient temp with this temp difference? What type of bier you fermenting?

Gaz, I sure hope it was pedal bikes not gasoline fed bikes you sold?
Sounds like a good wife aka a keeper.

At 8 degrees higher how many gallons you fermenting as well what was the ambient temp with this temp difference? What type of bier you fermenting?

I just had 14.5 gal of Sticke Alt go from 62 to 67.5 degrees in 36 hours with 64 degree air ambient inside a fermentation chamber. I had to add wet towels to facilitate better heat transfer to get it back down to 64.

Before the fermentation chamber, I have beers easily fermenting at 6+ degrees above ambient for the same batch sizes and had one ESB hit 8 degrees above ambient before I noticed and threw wet towels on it.

Back