Stout: Strong Chocolate character

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandonlovesbeer

BrandonLovesBeer
Reaction score
I am going to be brewing a Russian Imperial Stout.

I want A LOT of chocolate character.

Any suggestions on how much to add?
When to add? (Mash, boil, 2ndary, bottling)
What type to add? (Powder, Semi sweet, Cocoa nibs, bakers bitter)

Thanks

The local micro has a signature chocolate stout that they make. Was talking to the brewer and they use no chocolate. It all comes from the malt and vanilla beans.

fwiw, for a 10 gallon batch of my house chocolate stout:

In the 60 minute mash:
28 pounds US 2-row pale malt
4 pounds C40
2 pounds flaked barley
2 pounds Carafoam
2 pounds Blackswaen chocolate malt
8 oz black patent
8 oz black barley
8 ounce roasted barley

In the boil:
1 pound low fat dark cocoa powder (@5 mins remaining)

At flame-out:
4 pounds of clover honey

At end of fermentation:
1 pound of roasted cocoa nibs and two scraped/smooshed vanilla beans - all marinated in enough dark rum to cover for a week and the whole works added to the fermentors ~one week before kegging/packaging.

Hops are:
2 oz Chinook @60
2 oz Chinook @45
2 oz Cascade @20
2 oz Cascade @10

I've used both wy1318 and Fermentis S04, actually prefer the S04 for this.

Plenty of chocolate flavor and very smooth, even with the 11%+ ABV.
I treat myself to a short pour every night before bed and always have a backup keg ready to go :)

Vanilla is a must - it magically amplifies the perception of chocolate...

Cheers!

I made a strong brown porter a few years ago, and the LHBS ordered Simpsons Coffee malt instead of the brown malt that I wanted. I was stupid and didn't know the difference. I used 2 pounds of it in a 4 or 5 gallon batch. (the rest was mostly pale ale malt) It definitely tasted like chocolate. Add just a touch of vanilla and you would have sworn I brewed it with cocoa nibs or something.

FWIW, the porter that I accidentally brewed with 2 pounds of coffee malt tasted just as chocolately as a chocolate stout one of the local homebrew club members brought to a meeting a few months ago. His had chocolate and cocoa in it; mine had no chocolate at all. I wish I still had a bottle to taste side by side with his.

I recommend getting most of your flavor from roasted malts, and add just a little real chocolate and a tiny bit of vanilla to put it over the top.

Brewing with chocolate has been a research project of mine for a couple months. One of my boys who just got his four-year degree was discussing which off-the-shelf chocolate would be best for certain applications.
His major is in food science and he has a background in producing brand-name commercial chocolates for Godiva, so when I brought chocolate up for porters and stouts, he had quite a few suggestions on what to avoid.
My brewing setup isn't typical of most others, so the choice and application of adjunct flavorings will be different.

His suggestion led me to choose an unsweetened processed chocolate because the natural cocoa butter is removed. During the boil, precipitated oils can interfere with hop-protein interaction influencing the beer's foam potential. I love foam so that's a big factor. Founders Porter is one of my favorites, but it has very little in the way of persistent foam.
Second, I didn't want a collection of cocoa butter and hop oils to affect hop utilization and gunk up my beautiful steel boil kettle. Cleaning it is already a major pain in the arse.
My choice? Ghirardelli dark unsweetened cocoa powder, added to primary or to a secondary fermentation just after high krausen has started to subside. I like that brand and it has less sodium by weight than the Hershey's Special Dark by comparison. On bottling, a small addition of vanilla extract can be added to the mixing bucket. Four to eight weeks of bottle conditioning should be fine in my case as the porter/stout won't be a high gravity batch.

I like cheap, but I also like efficiency. Raw cocoa and vanilla adds an expense factor that can be removed from my process.

Pale chocolate malt is also helpful in giving a hint of unsweetened bakers chocolate.

Second bit of info when using cocoa powder as an adjunct ingredient...

Dutch processed powder is treated with alkali, so adding it in the mash affects pH. I chose Ghirardelli because it doesn't have this property and it's low on sodium. With a slightly acid pH between 5-6, one 8oz bag can be added to the mash, to the boil, or to the fermenter without any real worries over water alkalinity issues. Putting it in boiling water to dissolve, then adding at any point in the brewing process would seem ok, but I'd prefer the insoluble particulates to settle in the trub before bottling.

I made many stouts with the standard ingredients. None of which have that super chocolate my flavor I want.
But I want to make one with real chocolate.
My goal is to have the final product taste like Southern Tier: Choklat

Back