Stout formulation help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chelero

Reaction score
I want to make Jamil's dry stout, went to my LHBS, and the guy said
the amount of flaked barley was excessive, so I didn't buy as much. I've scaled it down to a 5gal batch, and my questions are-was he correct? can I lower the amount of flaked barley(now I would like to, cause I don't have very much)? and how should i adjust the grain bill? how might that affect the beer?
thanks,
c:mug:

cerveza de malto seca
Dry Stout

Type: Extract
Date: 1/22/2010
Batch Size: 18.93 L
Boil Size: 22.71 L
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (5 Gallon)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: -
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.88 kg Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 62.61 %
0.75 kg Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 24.93 %
0.38 kg Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 12.47 %
47.51 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 37.5 IBU
1 Pkgs SafBrew Ale (DCL Yeast #S-33) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.039 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 3.69 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 37.5 IBU Calories: 90 cal/l
Est Color: 23.8 SRM Color: Color

One of my favorite dry stout's grain bill is as follows:

70% Pale Malt
17% Flaked barley
10% Roasted barley
3% Chocolate Malt

I would use anywhere from 20-5% flaked barley in a dry stout.

i've just brewed one of Jamil's cream stouts. i left the grain bill alone and lowered the amount of extract like the book suggests. i did have to adapt the recipe to fit what my LHBS had in stock.

I had the same thing happen at my LHBS. I took his advice with a grain of salt and bought the grains the way the recipe stated. The way I see it, the whole point of getting a recipe is to try and replicate it. What's the worst that can happen...?

My recipe was;

3.5 lbs - Marris Otter (70%)
1 lb - Flaked Barley (20%)
0.5 lb - Roasted Barley (10%)

1.25 oz Goldings (whole) - beginning of 60 min boil
Wyeast 1028 London Ale

thanks for the help. unfortunately, I only have 2lbs of flaked barley(it's impossible to find where I am), and I want to make it last over a couple of brews instead of just using most of it on this one. if I wanted to build a grain bill by percentages on beersmith, how would I do that?

Here's what I'm boiling up right now:

7# 2-row
2# flaked barley (8oz toasted in oven@300F for 15mins)
8oz roasted Barley
8oz UK chocolate malt

1oz fuggles@FWH
1oz EKGs@45mins

WLP037 (samuel smith strain)

the 70/20/10 ratio is about what I stick with for stouts, it's a great ratio.

I'm also souring about 3% of the wort to get that guinness-y twang.

So Chelero...how did it turn out?

Mine's been in primary for 3 weeks and every time I go back to take a sample, it's a different beer. It's mellowed out nicely as of yesterday.

I'd imagine you've brewed your dry stout by now, but FWIW I would trust Jamil's recipes to be on target for style. I have brewed several of his recipes and none have failed. Also, flaked barley is really better off in a dark beer due to the cloudiness it creates, so I would have told you just to use the recommended amount and not worry about saving it.

I don't know "the guy" at your LHBS but I'd be willing to bet my brewery that he doesn't have the brewing knowledge and recipe formulation experience of Jamil.

They don't call the guy The Pope for nothing. FWIW, I've also brewed that exact recipe and I think it comes out awesome using exactly what Jamil calls for.

well, sadly I haven't made the stout yet! due to doubts about the recipe, being too busy, and having 2 fermentors occupied, I just had to put this one in a holding pattern. Hoping to do it in the next few days, and I am planning on adding the required amount of flaked barley, just to not deviate from the original recipe. thanks to everyone for their help. very interested in the soured guiness idea i read somewhere else on here....anyone tasted the final results yet?

Back