Stout FG high... OK to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExHempKnight

Reaction score
I've had Imperial Bastard Stout in the fermenter for 3 weeks. OG was 1.095.

It was in my basement, which was a little too cold (62-ish), until 3 days ago. The gravity was 1.040. I brought it upstairs to a warmer room and gave it a gentle shake, which got me some airlock activity for a day or so.

I figured a few days would finish it out, but I'm still at 1.040. It smells fantastic, though I haven't tasted it (no wine thief).

I'd like to have this bottled today, so it can condition and be drinkable by Christmas. I don't, however, want bottle bombs.

So I posit this to you, the experienced brewing community. Should I wait, or RDWHAHB and bottle?

That still has plenty to go. 1.095 is a huge beer and 1.040 is not very good attenuation on it. Even if you did bottle without any bombs, that beer is not one that is typically ready in two weeks. More like months. I'd let it go if I were you.

Just my two cents.

You have been stable for 3 days and that is the definition of a finished fermentation. Airlock activity was probably CO2 offgassing from temp change/ disturbance. I would bottle if you want it ready for Christmas but it is a little young for that big a beer. The White Labs site is a little lean on info regarding the Irish strain (med/ high alcohol tolerance and a best temp but no real range) but you got fair mileage out of it even if you did not get where you expected. If you were brewing AG I would question your mash temps, but with extract...hmm. It will probably be a little sweet but still a great brew.

If you really want to get those last few points you could pick up some amylase enzymes from your LHBS. Some will suggest beano...it will get it going but it will ferment EVERYTHING out and leave it dry as hell. If you do kick start it, it probably won't be done in time for Christmas. If you go ahead and bottle, try to suck up just a little extra yeast when you rack to the bottling bucket, then turn your bottles every 12-24 hrs to speed carbonation along.

Merry Christmas and good luck, you should have a great holiday beer :tank:

Hmm. I'm not sure i'd bottle a 58% attenuated beer. Might be ok, but at 62 degrees I'd def let it sit somewhere warmer for more than 3 days. Heck, I wouldn't even check a 1.095 for 5 weeks. Guessing that this was probably underpitched, how much yeast did you use?

Anyway, here's a good example of ask 10 brewers a question and get 10 different answers. (Unless the next 8 say bottle it. lol)

Hmm. I'm not sure i'd bottle a 58% attenuated beer. Might be ok, but at 62 degrees I'd def let it sit somewhere warmer for more than 3 days. Heck, I wouldn't even check a 1.095 for 5 weeks. Guessing that this was probably underpitched, how much yeast did you use?

Anyway, here's a good example of ask 10 brewers a question and get 10 different answers. (Unless the next 8 say bottle it. lol)

I don't disagree that this big of a beer might be a long way from done, but if it is stuck will it matter how long you wait? That is why I suggested the amylase. If it warmed up for 3 days and didn't take back off with being roused as well, how much more can he expect out of the yeastie beasties? I always use wyeast so I was a little surprised by how little info white labs provided.

Good question on pitching rate...how big a starter did you use?

Well, kind of what to you said earlier...if this were AG and mash temps were too high, i'd say its just too much unfermentable sugar and its done. But with it being extract, I'd probably let it site another week or so just for the heck of it. Even with fermentation done, there's plenty more that goes on.

If you're in a rush to bottle it for xmas...you're really kind of past that date anyway. But I bet its just fine for ground hogs day....

I followed the recipe, and didn't use a starter. Just shook the vial and dumped it in. Fermentation lagged a couple of days, then took off like a rocket. Blew the lid off the fermenter bucket, even with a blow off tube. Bubbled strong for several days, then tapered off.

My basement only got that cold within the last week or so... It was 64-65 before that.

Though I suppose all that doesn't necessarily mean I didn't underpitch it.

I had hoped to have it ready to drink for Xmas, but if it needs to sit, it needs to sit. As delicious as this beer smells, I don't want to ruin it by being impatient.

If you didn't use a starter, you seriously underpitched. Even a Wyeast smack pack does not have enough cells to ferment that high an OG. You needed at least a 2 liter starter, probably more. That said, you probably have a stuck fermentation w/ no starter...and with that info I would leave it alone so the yeastie beasties can clean up. They produce a lot of off flavors when they have to play catch up on the reproduction side because of underpitching. Try the enzymes, it has worked for others.

Back