Storing Wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thearcher

Reaction score
Can a person make a wort then store it for later brewing?
How long can a wort be stored?
What would be the best way to store a wort? Air tight container? Refrigerated?

Thanks

Curtis

just wondering why you would go through the process of making the wort and not cool it down and pitch? time issues? for yeast starters? just curious

Apparently some of the no-chill brewers from australia do this. They put their boiling wort into an air-tight winpak, seal it up, and let it cool. I've read some of them saying that they'll keep the sealed-up cubes a room temp for months, even, before they pitch. I'd start poking around the no-chill threads here or on other forums to find out more.

Seems like an interesting way to have fresh beer around all the time. Spend a weekend brewing up a sh*tload of batches and then pitch them at different times. Also works if you have limited time to brew, but can only regulate ferm temps for one batch at a time.

are you doing all grain?

if you are brewing extract, that is pointless, imo. it would make more sense to freeze the extract and hops to brew and pitch later.

was thinking of doing something like that,mash today,put the wort outside where it will freeze overnight then boil it tomorrow

You could store wort to krauesen your beer. I've been thinking of doing this for a while now.

just wondering why you would go through the process of making the wort and not cool it down and pitch? time issues? for yeast starters? just curious

Time issue is part of it but there is other things I was thinking like a semi-permanent homesteading situation where the availability to get supplies are not present. Or possible testing or share different recipes where you might want to brew 2.5 gallons instead of 5 but not waste the other half. Stuff like this is what I was thinking of.

Thanks

Curtis

Back