Storing Washed Yeast - How Small A Jar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
Since the yeast is the thin layer at the bottom, how small a jar can be used to save washed yeast?

I have been using pint mason jars, but have been looking at the tiny "jelly" jars. These are canning jars a little bigger than baby food jars. They would fit in the bottom of my kegerator perfectly.

I havent done anything further than save containers yet. But I have been saveing and delabeling white labs yeast viles for this purpose in the future.:)

The 4 oz. Jelly Jars work great, especially if you want to build a yeast bank with lots of variety.

BeerFridge4.jpg

I have actually considered picking up like a case of baby food and eating it just to get the jars.

I have yeast saved in pint mason jars as well, but they take up way too much space, and I've actually been letting my yeast bank fade away as I have been just pulling out jars and not replacing them, because of the space issue.

I have actually considered picking up like a case of baby food and eating it just to get the jars.

I started out using the baby food jars and getting the lids to seal properly is a real hassle. The threads just do not line up easily. Jelly jars are about the same price and work far, far more reliably.

+1 on 4 oz jelly jars, I paid $8 (I think) for a flat of 12. Work great, I use a 1 gallon jug to wash, then a 1/2 gallon jug for a 24 hr cold crash to get the yeast out, you can get a lot of yeast in the jars if you decant most of the beer/liquid off before re-suspending and transferring to the jars. Mine end up 2/3 (2.5-3 oz) full of compacted yeast.

(Sometimes you don't need a starter per Mr malty if you use the slurry soon enough. If you trust your sanitation and such.)

+1 on 4 oz jelly jars, I paid $8 (I think) for a flat of 12. Work great, I use a 1 gallon jug to wash, then a 1/2 gallon jug for a 24 hr cold crash to get the yeast out, you can get a lot of yeast in the jars if you decant most of the beer/liquid off before re-suspending and transferring to the jars. Mine end up 2/3 (2.5-3 oz) full of compacted yeast.

(Sometimes you don't need a starter per Mr malty if you use the slurry soon enough. If you trust your sanitation and such.)

Yeah, I tried dumping some washed 3068 straight into a batch of Hefe Saturday, with no starter. Fermentation was delayed by about 6 hours or so, but it's going strong now.

I didn't know those little jars were so cheap. I'll be picking up some!

:ban:

Back