storing unfermented cider long term

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrPizza

Reaction score
In just a couple more weeks, I'm planning on making a lot of hard cider - figuring that I'll get three 6-gallon carboys for that purpose. Hopefully, after reading a lot here, I think I have that pretty much covered.

Now, I also enjoy unfermented cider from time to time. So, I'm planning on making a lot of it to last until next year's apple season. While I'm a fan of unfermented cider, I'm not a fan of food poisoning. Any techniques for long term storage besides freezing? I'll freeze a few gallons, but certainly don't want to put 25 or 30 gallons into my freezer. I was thinking, first run it through a fairly course filter - just some cheesecloth to get rid of the bigger solids. Then, heat it to 160-165 for a few minutes, then toss in a campden tablet per gallon & some potassium sorbate (0.1%). I'd prefer to stick with plastic gallon jugs - reuse milk jugs that I've been saving (and washing). But, I suppose I could bite the bullet and buy a bunch of one gallon glass jugs, if necessary for some recommendation.

I was just discussing this with my dad last night. I hope some people reply with some insightful solutions! :) I'll definitely be checking back regularly to this thread!

The best way to preserve it is to ferment it.

You could always can it. They make Ball jars up to at least half gallon now. Heat it to pasteurization temps, put in Ball jars and use a Foodsaver to suck the air out.
No need to mess with preservatives. Should be good for at least a year that way.

But you really should ferment it. It's like nuking the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. :mug:

Re: fermenting it. Note that I said I was going to ferment 18 gallons of it. I'm just trying to figure out how to safely preserve some non-fermented stoff too - along with that tangy flavor that cider has (and apple juice seems to lack). Turning it into apple juice and canning it for a few years would be trivial.

I didn't realize there were larger 64oz ball jars - perfect! But, when doing canning, I'm very aware of how important temperatures and pH are for long term storage (I would think close to a year counts as long term.) And have read how you could wind up with botulism if you don't, for instance, keep whatever you're canning in boiling water long enough. Thus, I'm a little apprehensive about simply hitting 160 degrees for a few minutes, then canning.

Do people find this to be safe enough for 1 year storage? (I like not having preservatives in it.) Or, to be on the safe side, should I toss in some sodium/potassium bisulfite & potassium sorbate?

Thanks for the link. After seeing so many links, it looks like I'll just play it safe & freeze gallons of cider. I really was hoping to find something such as sanitizing it with a couple of campden tablets, then preserving it with potassium sorbate and/or ascorbic acid. Oh well, better safe than sorry.
"Picked" (laid down tarps and shook the heck out of the tree branches) my first bushel Saturday & my brother brought up another bushel. I'll probably get around to pressing them tonight or tomorrow; helping my brother make his first ever batch of anything - 6 gallons of hard cider.

Latest posts

Back