Storing starter wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_Dude41

Chaos coordinator
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Let me cut to the chase, life with triplet 3 year old boys consumes a lot of time and energy. Any opportunities that I find to gain efficiency through scale or other means, I jump at.
So, I found these wine to go bags and thought that these might work well for storing starter wort. https://labelpeelers.com/equipment/misc-wine/wine-on-tap-replacement-bags-package-of-3/
I am thinking of boiling up 3 gallons of wort next time I need to do a starter and then use these to store it, and dispense as needed. I should think that they will freeze well and use. Since I am starting from slants and old packets, I will be stepping up multiple times as i build up cell counts. As long as sanitize the spout before and after each time I pull some off for each step, I feel this should be pretty sanitary and infection is not much of a risk.
Anyone have any thoughts?

Congrats with your triplets! I bet they keep you busy, I can't even imagine.
As long as sanitize the spout before and after each time I pull some off for each step,
That is the big issue. Keeping the spigot sanitary.

How do you "pull some off" when they are frozen? Or are you defrosting/refreezing the whole bladder each time before drawing some off? BTW, are those bladders a gallon, half a gallon? I can't find any specs on that site. At well over $2 a bladder after shipping, plus the outlay for the jug, I don't see this method offering much, if any benefit.

I've been trying to come up with amicable solutions of storing extra wort from a batch for making starters. It takes very little time to mash/brew an extra gallon and draw it off for future starters, or a vitality starter.

I sometimes freeze some leftover (boiled) wort, but defrosting (microwave) takes time, and the containers/lids I use aren't quite up to sanitary standards. Instead I can prepare a starter batch from DME in about the same time, and make exactly the right amount. I use a stainless pot, chill in the sink or in a plastic tub. I never "wait" for it to chill. Preparing 1/4 or 1/2 liter for step starters shouldn't take that much time.

I did one batch of starter wort. I used some quart mason jars and would use some pint jars in the future. Make a mash of 2 row at 1.038 to 1.040. Can them with a pressure canner. I kept them in a closet so they were already at pitching temperature.

I have a frozen yeast bank so I should also make a batch at about 1.025 for first step in stepped starters.

This may be obvious, but having a friend with just twins, you are going to need to have a constant supply of beer available! (For you, and to entice friends to come baby sit for you. I am happy to watch his kids ((ok, well the wife really does)) for him as his beer fridge is always stocked!!

Ok- anyways- have you looked at the canned wort? Yes it is super expensive, but it:
-stores in the closet
-stays good for a while
-each can provides 32 ounces of 1.040 wort with nutrients.
-about $4 a can shipped, maybe cheaper at a lhbs.

Super pricey compater to dme, BUT almost no chace for infection and omg so fast!
I did one last night for the first time... so easy!!

I BIAB. When I’m done squeezing I set the bag in another kettle with about 1/2 gallon of 170* water and let it sit a while. I then squeeze again and boil down the resulting wort in the stove until it’s 1.035 or so. Cool it, put it it in a soda bottle and freeze. I do this while the main beer is boiling so it doesn’t take extra time.

When I need starter wort I thaw, boil 10 min and cool. Sure it is a little extra work but it’s free wort.

I recommend getting a pressure canner and making jars of starter wort. Shelf space is easier to come by than freezer space.

I make ~1.036 quart jars and use the whole jar for a typical starter. You could make smaller jars with more concentrated wort and then dilute with boiled water, too.

I regularly do something like this. I freeze about 800ml of 1.080 wort in 1L PET bottles. Then defrost, dilute 1:1, boil and then make a starter. Usually do a dozen bottles at a time which lasts me about 3 months.

Thanks for all of the feedback and suggestions.

Since I am ordering other things today, i am going to give them a test and I will let you know how they work for me.

After racking my clear wort to the fermenter I pour all the sediment into a sanitized pitcher and let settle overnite in the 33* lagering chamber. In the morning I decant to a plastic container and freeze. When needed it's defrosted and boiled in Erlenmeyer flask for a few min to sanitize. Yes I dilute it with filtered water if it's over 1.050 before the boil. So not only is it almost free , I'm using a waste stream.

Pressure canning for the win.. I usually do up 1 batch per year, can in quart and pint jars, and have enough for the year. One thing I found with this is that I do a quick boil and cool to get rid of hot and cold break. The canning process boils again, but the jars all have the break material in them. I also mash on the low side of 140F, not sure if it matters, but it's worked great so far.
Shelf stable for at least a year. I would recommend going with the metal lid inserts over the plastic with a gasket, and make sure to wash the outside of the jars after they cool.

Pressure canning for the win.. I usually do up 1 batch per year, can in quart and pint jars, and have enough for the year. One thing I found with this is that I do a quick boil and cool to get rid of hot and cold break. The canning process boils again, but the jars all have the break material in them. I also mash on the low side of 140F, not sure if it matters, but it's worked great so far.
Shelf stable for at least a year. I would recommend going with the metal lid inserts over the plastic with a gasket, and make sure to wash the outside of the jars after they cool.

Don't forget to remove the rings when their cooled or at least dry them off and put them pack on. Moisture between the lid and the ring will cause them to rust, compromising the seal. The ring is necessary once the jar is sealed and cooled.

Don't forget to remove the rings when their cooled or at least dry them off and put them pack on. Moisture between the lid and the ring will cause them to rust, compromising the seal. The ring is necessary once the jar is sealed and cooled.

I've never done this but it is probably a good idea to keep the rings from rusting. But they are cheap and I don't think it would compromise the seal unless the lid rusted through.

Back