Storing hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hooterjbrew

Reaction score
I just took advantage of a sale on Two IPA kits by im not gonna have time to brew them for at least 3-4 weeks. Both come with several hop additions, all pellet except 2 bags of leaf hops for secondary. Should I store these a certain way since I can't brew right away? They are all sealed and will not be opened until brew day. Thanks for the help

My LHBS stores them in an upright fridge.
I keep my in my little mini beer fridge in my basement (brew room).
I keep the fridge to 41F,
half the hops fit in the tiny freezer compartment, the rest on the door. However they are all vacuum sealed.
Those that I have opened I have store in a a ziploc vacuum sealed bag.

YMMV

If it's just for a couple weeks I would store them in the fridge. As long as they are in the original airtight packaging, the hops should be perfectly fine.

-Jeff

Yeah, keep them refrigerated, same thing for the yeast. If I have hops I'm not going to use right away I put them in the freezer.

EDIT: Always too long typing the reply...you all beat me too it.

I know I'm looking to far in this lol. So if more than a month freezer is better but within 4weeks-ish refrigerator is good? Same for the dry yeast as well? Just throw it in the refrigerator? Anything specific I should do with the LME/DME

Thanks guys for the quick responses.

I'd do freezer for the hops and fridge for the yeast. I always vacuum seal my grain and put it in the freezer as well. Not sure if that helps or not. If you have any grains, make sure they are in a sealed bag at least.

I keep my LME in the fridge, but I think that's overkill. DME just keep dry.

And yes, dry or liquid yeast should be in the fridge.

I put all hops on that little shelf above the icemaker in the freezer regardless of when I'll use them. Save maybe for the next day, then fridge time. LME in the fridge, all yeast in the fridge in that little butter cubby on the door to keep them from getting punctured, kicked around, etc on the fridge shelves. I have one of those chrome plated steel wire drying shelves with two dunnage containers for bags of grains, dextrose, other sugars, DME & the like on the bottom shelf.

Back