Storing DME Used For Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwebster22

Reaction score
i brew about one 5-gallon batch per month, and only recently started making yeast starters. All going okay with that except a minor inconvenience with storing my DME I use for the starter. Seems that the DME attracts moisture from my moist Houston air, and even though I keep the bag tightly rolled up and secured with a rubber band, it's a sticky/flaky mess at the opening. Anyone have a more elegant solution?

I have a bunch of small plastic containers I use to parcel out and store the DME. I put a measured (100 grams) amount of DME in each one and screw down the lid. They don't seem to absorb any moisture that way. I'll have 8 or 10 of them ready to go so each time i do a starter I just empty one of them into the Ehrlenmeyer flask, add water, and away we go.

I'm sure Chinamart or anyone else would have similar kinds of tupperware-type small containers you could use.

dme.jpg

Last edited:
DME is a pain in the ass no doubt. I just keep my original bag of DME in a larger ziplock bag.

Same thing happens in Florida, no matter how many bags and tupperwares.

I’m keeping an eye out for silicone packs in things like pill bottles to throw in the mix. It’s an idea, but I haven’t tried it yet.

I have mine in a ziploc bag in the freezer. Always dry when I need it.

I am going to try this method soon
I'm doing an experimental canning batch of wort starter as I type. I used a 1 lb package of DME and divided it 4 ways into pint jars which fit perfectly into my 6 qt Cuisinart. Filled each jar with hot water 1/2" from the top, a pinch of nutrient and screwed lid and ring into place after stirring to dissolve. Calculations are that 113 grams of DME in this pint, then diluted to a volume of 1 liter when used is close to the right amount. This ratio allows me to split a 1 lb package of DME evenly between 4 pint jars.

Filled cooker with water about 2/3 way up the sides of jars, and it only took a short time for the Cuisinart to come up to pressure. The cooker just turned off after 30 minutes under pressure at appx 15 psi. The entire process took around 1 hour.

This method is so much easier than boiling one single starter at a time. If by chance NB should announce that Fast Pitch is now back in stock....sorry Charlie, but I found a new dance partner! :)

EDIT: Jars did fine and the lid "Popped" down perfectly as planned. This is an easy way to produce starter concentrate...just wish I had discovered this sooner.

If you make 2 liter starters, you need 200 grams of DME to get a gravity of 1.037.

When you open your (3) pound bag of DME, measure out those 200g quantities into individual ziplock or slider lock bags, seal and store them all inside a large plastic, sealable container. After you're done, you can probably make a small starter from the DME clinging to the measuring cup and sticking to the original bag. :)

When preparing a starter just open one of those 200g bags. You can even rinse out the bag with the starter water if it sticks to the sides.

At our group grain buy we often split 50# sacks of DME into smaller quantities. Yup, it's messy and sticky, but ever so rewarding when it's all done. :tank:

I have a bunch of small plastic containers I use to parcel out and store the DME. I put a measured (100 grams) amount of DME in each one and screw down the lid. They don't seem to absorb any moisture that way. I'll have 8 or 10 of them ready to go so each time i do a starter I just empty one of them into the Ehrlenmeyer flask, add water, and away we go.

I'm sure Chinamart or anyone else would have similar kinds of tupperware-type small containers you could use.

Excellent!
But why aren't you making 2 liter starters?

Just cut a piece of the outer edge of the package so that the opening is small and even and then use some gaffa tape to immediately close it again after usage. Air tight, no moisture problem.

Excellent!
But why aren't you making 2 liter starters?

Interesting you should ask that. I kinda, sorta, am.

I had a revelation of sorts--you may or may not agree--that suggested I should get that second liter not in the Ehrlenmeyer flask, but in the fermenter.

What I do is this: I do a normal starter, add a pinch of yeast nutrient; I oxygenate the starter wort--which I've only known one other HBT'er to do--and get it going on the stir plate.

I've found that the yeast at about 14 hours is really going strong; at 18 hours or so, it's winding down. So I try to time things so I pitch that starter at 14-15 hours. That's right--the whole thing in the fermenter, all 1-liter of it. Drops the OG about a point.

I'm not crashing the starter in a fridge, I'm not decanting the "beer" off the starter--the whole thing, right in.

I do this with lagers too--where the advice is to have a 2-liter starter almost always. But I have a starter at about 70 degrees, I chill the wort to 70 degrees, I pitch the whole thing, and I'll wait about 5 hours before starting to drop the temp to 50 degrees. In the meantime, by the time the temp gets low, I've increased that cell count significantly. So the effect is to have a 2-liter starter but only do one liter.

I'll wait for the incredulous responses questioning my manhood and intelligence. But it works. If you want someone other than me to say it's OK, you can read about this approach in the White/Zainasheff Yeast book on pages 134 and 138.

BTW, here's why I started to oxygenate the starter wort. I've been doing Low Oxygen brewing lately, and one of the things one is supposed to do is to boil the strike water for 5 minutes before cooling it to strike temps. The boiling drives off the oxygen from the water, leaving little to oxidize the wort in the mash.

So it got me to thinking--if we're boiling a starter, aren't we also driving off the oxygen from there? And don't yeast need oxygen to develop cell walls? And thus shouldn't it be better to oxygenate that starter wort to give those yeasties the best environment in which to double, and then the stir plate continues the admission of oxygen to the flask? For me all the above are answered "yes."

I posted about this a while back, and you'd thought I'd insulted the Pope or something. People were adamant that oxygen got into the starter wort as it diffused past the foil cap on the flask. But I can't believe that is either a complete or fast process, especially as yeast are expelling CO2 as part of their efforts. I suspect much of the response was due to having another potential thing to have to do in making a starter. Whatever.

Only later did I find White/Zainasheff discussing this on page 134 of their book.

I'm also in Houston and have been successful using my vacuum sealer, which was originally purchased to extend storage life of hops and specialty grains. When I get a new bag of DME I divide it all into 100g and 200g per bag, vacuum seal each bag. They store indefinitely. When time to use just cut corner off a bag and dump it into flask or pot and boil.

Things do start to get sticky toward the end of the dividing process, but that's just life working with DME in humid environment. Could try to do it on one of the few dry winter days we get each year!

Interesting you should ask that. I kinda, sorta, am...

I'm revisiting starters myself, and vitality starters surely have their charm, I make them too, occasionally, from stored yeast.
But I still grow yeast the old fashioned way, on a stir plate (I use an orbital shaker), cold crash, decant, transfer, and store in fridge, or in freezer with glycerin.

As you know, I'm not 100% sold on all LODO processes, one of them boiling strike water. I don't think commercial breweries boil their strike water either, unless they need to precipitate excess mineral content from their hard water source. I'm still reading those threads trying to piece the puzzle together. To paraphrase you, for each piece laid down 2 new ones show up.

Yeast is a great resource, more of it starts to make sense.

I'm also in Houston and have been successful using my vacuum sealer, which was originally purchased to extend storage life of hops and specialty grains. When I get a new bag of DME I divide it all into 100g and 200g per bag, vacuum seal each bag. They store indefinitely. When time to use just cut corner off a bag and dump it into flask or pot and boil.

Things do start to get sticky toward the end of the dividing process, but that's just life working with DME in humid environment. Could try to do it on one of the few dry winter days we get each year!

I tried to vacuum seal my DME but wound up sucking a bunch of powder into the machine. Maybe my bags weren’t big enough or I didn’t do it right, who knows.

I'm revisiting starters myself, and vitality starters surely have their charm, I make them too, occasionally, from stored yeast.
But I still grow yeast the old fashioned way, on a stir plate (I use an orbital shaker), cold crash, decant, transfer, and store in fridge, or in freezer with glycerin.

As you know, I'm not 100% sold on all LODO processes, one of them boiling strike water. I don't think commercial breweries boil their strike water either, unless they need to precipitate excess mineral content from their hard water source. I'm still reading those threads trying to piece the puzzle together. To paraphrase you, for each piece laid down 2 new ones show up.

Yeast is a great resource, more of it starts to make sense.

As far as LODO goes, I'm still in the evaluation stage. I've had enough success with it to believe there's something to it. My Christmas Eve beer was repeatedly enjoyed by everyone in the family (except MIL), kept having refills. That was a LODO beer and it's one of the best I've ever brewed.

Have others in various stages of completion right now, early signs are very good. But in the end, it has to be significantly better than not doing it to pass my test.

We'll see. For now, I keep doing it and tightening down the process.

BTW: My 3-month test of Brewtan-B is coming up on Wednesday night; we'll see if a BtB beer retains flavor and aroma better than one without.

Do you have a thread on this?

Not yet. I have a detailed writeup of the first tests 3 months ago, but decided it might be better to post it all at once. FWIW, I only used people who hadn't drank any beer that night, unlike Brulosophy which doesn't appear to control that. Despite that I did not get a significant number of testers who could tell the difference though the total number was only 14. Not as large a number to test as I would have liked, but we just didn't have as many show up that night as normal. C'est la vie.

Back