Storing bulk LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LamIAm

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I read a few posts about storing LME but had a specific question about my scenario. A new LHBS started offering bulk LME out of a container. I was the first guinea pig and asked for 30 lbs. long story short, I ended up with 45 lbs.

I am going to transfer to a 5 gallon bucket and use a gamma lid and store in my cool basement. Any reason I couldn't just continue buying a 5 gallon bucket full each time? I am brewing in 8 days. After that initial brew, which should consume 33 pounds, I will do another brew in three weeks to get the second batch going...so this LME will need to keep for a total of about a month.

I wish I had the room for 20 gallons.

Brrr clone calls for 14 lbs of grain. LME equivalent is a little under 11 lbs. I have two other recipes that call for around 10 lbs.

If you use it fairly quickly, you can keep it at room temp. Ensure the container is sanitized and you seal it after every use.

Similar to Honey, it can't actually go bad, but mold can grow on the surface, so you can't keep it too long at room temp (a month or so). You can always get smaller containers and re-package and keep in the fridge. It can keep for a long time like that. LME does darken over time.

On a related note...

My LHBS sells LME by whatever increment you need, and it's in Foilpak containers. I only buy what I need when I need.

My concern is he has the LME stored in what looks like big 30-40g blue barrels that he pours out as needed, how long is it good for that way? Should I be worried this isn't as fresh as what I need?

It depends on how quickly he goes through it. Too long,& it might not be as fresh. You could ask if they nitrogen purge the o2 outta the barrels.

It depends on how quickly he goes through it. Too long,& it might not be as fresh. You could ask if they nitrogen purge the o2 outta the barrels.

He gets the barrels from the supplier like that, they have a slide valve on them

I can get 25lb or 33lb jerry cans of LME depending on the supplier, Bries is 33 muntons is 25. I got a bunch of Ball Mason Jars. I put 4.6oz into little wide mouth jelly jars for starters and 5lb into half gallon mason jars after making sure they have been sanitized. Store between 40 and 70% up to the best by date. Most LME will go up 3-5L after that date and then keep progressing at some interval. I am not fr enough into it that I worry about the color but I will some day.
hope this helps provide food for thought.

-decoleur

I know that! What I meant was,as the barrels are emptied,some purge the o2 out of the growing head space with n2o.

Ahh, no clue, I will have to ask him when I see him, I'm only there once every 2 weeks and I've only seen him change out once or twice in the past 4 months.

Back