Storing bulk grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camelot Legends

Reaction score
I currently only stock Fawcett pearl malt in bulk but planning on adding Pilsner and us 2-row. I currently keep in a large Rubbermaid bin, in its original sack, in my living room. My wife puts up with the one but if I’m going to add two more I’m going to have to move them to the basement. Just wondering what others do to store their bulk grains.

I've been using Home Depot buckets with their matching lids, never had a grain bug here, and no stale grain.
In AL, I worry as much about humidity as I do with bugs. I would think SC would be in the same boat. The gamma lids are moisture-proof. With the regular lids, I'd worry about grain spoilage or something funky growing on my grain (e.g., mildew, fungus, etc.). Maybe I'm over-concerned, but the gamma lids are only $15-20 and last forever.

In AL, I worry as much about humidity as I do with bugs. I would think SC would be in the same boat. The gamma lids are moisture-proof. With the regular lids, I'd worry about grain spoilage or something funky growing on my grain (e.g., mildew, fungus, etc.). Maybe I'm over-concerned, but the gamma lids are only $15-20 and last forever.

My buckets are stored inside the house, the AC takes care of humidity. Never had spoilage in 15 odd years of brewing. HD buckets have a large o-ring seal.

MC

Any suggestions for storing specialty grains (3-10#)? Some of these will sit on my shelf a longer than base grains.

I like the ideas of Vittel V, but I'm over buying more HB crap. I use the largest Rubbermaid containers I could find. They will hold multiple sacks and I fill in the headspace with all the specialty grains in vacuumed sealed bags. I leave my base grains in their original bags and twist the tops down to remove the air. I use a ziptie to hold it in place. They are strong enough to stack, so I have 4 that hold all my grain. I'd like to find me some vacuumed seal bags large enough for my batches. Would be great to weigh out recipes and just seal them up. Oh to brew those small 5 gallon batches again.

I use rubbermaid gasketed dog food containers. I think 60#. I have one I dump a bag of base malt in and another I keep bags of specialty malts. Never had a bug issue. A mouse got to the sample of planting barley I got stored in an open container above them, but they weren't touched.

Anyone ever try space bags for grain storage. They do seal pretty well. Using a shop vac may not work as well as traditional vacuseal product, but I think it would help. Any thoughts? The grain dust might cause an issue with the one way valve. That could be reduced by keeping it in the grain sack.

This has probably been discussed already.

Any suggestions for storing specialty grains (3-10#)? Some of these will sit on my shelf a longer than base grains.

I use a Vittle Vault and there's plenty of room for that amount of grain in separate bags. I just throw the bags with my 60L, torrified wheat, etc in on top of the 2-row. 55# of barley minus 10-14# for your first batch leaves plenty of space.

How about the 3 and 5 gallon leaktite screw top lids at Home Depot?Bucket Companion 5 gal. and 3 gal. Screw Top Bucket Lid in Black-LD5GRLBK006 - The Home Depot
only $7.35 plus bucket.

Looks like a "Gamma Seal" competitor.

Same thing, different brand at Lowes for $7.58.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Encore-Plastics-12-in-White-Plastic-Bucket-Lid/50094688
I've seen many mention Mernards on this forum. The Gamma Seal brand is only $6.97 from them.
https://www.menards.com/main/grocer...-gamma-seal-reg-lid/4122p/p-1527143413204.htm

For what ever reason, they look to cost a little more on Amazon.

And another tip, its the same lid used on the Vittles Vault. So, its a solid solution no mater where you get the lid. I personally like the 5 gallon buckets due to their size and stack-ability. They are small enough that I can easily move them to get to what ever grain I'm after. I dont need to have access to the inside when another bucket is stacked on top.

For smaller specialty grains, I just keep them in the bag from the LHBS and store different type in a single bucket. If I brewed more often, I might opt for some smaller buckets of common specialty grains but so far just keeping them in one bucket has been fine. I also keep my DME in the things. Keeps it dry!

They have worked great for me. I highly recommend it.

Love my food saver and the gamma seal lids. I use them on 5 gal buckets kept in basement pantry. One for 1-5 lbs bags. Bulk grains get poured into another two. I use regular lids for vac sealed small portions of specialty grains, herbs, spices, DME, sugars and coffee beans. An organized brewer is a happy brewer.

FWIW, bugs (weevils) aren't any fault of a container. They come from egg's attached to grain kernels, generally laid there prior to you receiving them. So your choice of container has little to nothing to do with you getting them or not.
Agreed. I went the 5 gallon food grade bucket route with gamma seal lids for 3 new sacks of grain. All six buckets were stored in my pantry that stays at 70F. I used about 20 lbs of grain “V” before storing it for about 2 months until y next brew day only to be greeted by a weevil infestation in the two buckets of remaining “V” grain. I frantically panicked and checked all my other grain buckets (before checking the food in my pantry, haha) they were all fine. I dumped 30 lbs of grain and don’t buy “V” brand anymore.

FWIW, bugs (weevils) aren't any fault of a container. They come from egg's attached to grain kernels, generally laid there prior to you receiving them. So your choice of container has little to nothing to do with you getting them or not.
I used to worry about them. I just brew, not like it is an infestation. I’ve found that as long as you are turning over the grain, I’ve not had an issue. When you hold the grain for any length, they show up.

I used to worry about them. I just brew, not like it is an infestation. I’ve found that as long as you are turning over the grain, I’ve not had an issue. When you hold the grain for any length, they show up.
Ca you brew with infected grain?

Yes. I brew with them in the grain anyway. They don't get crushed in my mill so they kinda stay whole, and they never escape the grain bag, so they never stay behind in the beer or the boil. I usually just leave the last bit of flour from in the bucket which is where they seem to concentrate and I throw that outside.

I store my malts in 25l white food-grade buckets. Softer plastic buckets with the same plastic used for the lids, so they last forever and work really well. Malts rarely stay in there for long though at the speed I'm brewing.

Weevils: sounds gross, but are they a health hazard? I'd think not. They're basically protein, and it's doubtful they'd survive the mash, let alone the boil. Cold crash elimates any "solids." Alcohol should take care of anything else.

Storage: buy in bulk, separate into 5~10# vacuum seal bags or whatever smaller size fits your needs for that particular grain. Store subdivided bags in large Rubbermaid tubs to keep rodents at bay.

Inventory: simple spreadsheet on your computer. Know at a glance what you have and how much you need for that upcoming brew session. Know what you can make for that end-of-season ragout.

Brooo Brother

I'm going to start buying grain in bulk and I think I'll just store it in rubbermaid containers that come with a lid. Would that be enough to keep mice out?

Those rodents have amazing teeth. A rat chewed all the way though the corner of this lid in one night. Chewed a couple others buckets as well.
IMG_0330.JPG

Caught the bastard in a trap baited with peanut butter the next evening.

Would that be enough to keep mice out?

Plastic wont keep a determined rodent away. If you have that as a problem, you could get a galvanized trashcan and store your grain bucket in it. A long while back, I learned that lesson with dog food I kept in the garage. The little B@$+@rds teeth cant get through steel!

Those rodents have amazing teeth. A rat chewed all the way though the corner of this lid in one night. Chewed a couple others buckets as well.
View attachment 718748

Truth^^^

I've got three large Rubbermaid tubs with snap down lids that hold vacuum sealed grain bags. Just a minor obstacle for a determined mouse. Living in an agrarian part of the county, we have an understandable 'issue' with field mice from time to time that the barn owls and chicken hawks fail to convert to dinner. Not an infestation, but certainly a concern from time to time.

Good old fashioned snap traps work wonders in eliminating the occasional interloper. It was never a problem when we had an Indoor house cat. When she died (after 18 years!) we did get one or two per year, but the traps would get 'em within a day. They get ripe within a hour or two, and often you'll hear the trap spring. They just can't resist the peanut butter bait.

This year I set some electric traps. Batteries charge a capacitor that zaps the intruder when they "complete the circuit", and then it sends a wi-fi alert to my cell phone. Got one trap next to where the grain bins are stacked, along with a couple snap traps. No nibbling guests this year, despite ~100# of various grains nearby. Bins and bags won't stop them, but traps and PB&J will.

Brooo Brother

Plastic wont keep a determined rodent away. If you have that as a problem, you could get a galvanized trashcan and store your grain bucket in it. A long while back, I learned that lesson with dog food I kept in the garage. The little B@$+@rds teeth cant get through steel!

Good to know! How many pounds of malt can you fit in a trashcan?

I may be late to this Conversation but I just started all Grain and have some Barley in bulk I want to store. I can get 5 Gallon buckets, food grade form my local Fareway Grocery store (they have them in the the front of the store for sale 3-4 bucket, then will get some Gamm lids. I think the store has them this time of year for people who do Maple sap collecting, as I don't recall seeing them other times, though they prolly have them in the back.

Good to know! How many pounds of malt can you fit in a trashcan?

I probably wouldn't store my malt in a trash can alone unless it was short term. You cant get a good seal with them. It would probably be fine if you go through grain quickly..
I was just suggesting that you could put your plastic buckets inside of a steel trashcan, or any other steel container for that matter, to keep the rodents out.

You can store them in their original bag or a zip lock and place those inside buckets with Gamma lids. I have three decoted to that and between 2 -6 different grains in each bucket.

View attachment 718748

I had birdseed stored in one outside the garage service door. A squirrel did the same thing.
I keep my brewing grains in the basement in gamma-lid buckets and have not had any problems in ~8 years.
I do have traps set in strategic locations.

Latest posts

Back