Storing Brew Rig (kettles and all) Outside?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJWP

Reaction score
Anyone store their rig outside? As an apartment brewer, I spend half my brew day getting my kettle and mash tun (converted half barrels, with thermometers and ball valves) and stand out of storage and set up.
I'm considering just leaving it all outside on the porch this summer, covered by a tarp when not in use.

Any concerns around rusting or anything else? Is a tarp enough protection?

If you're using mostly SS components on it, you won't have an issue. If the stand itself is mild steel, just make sure you have a good coating of paint on it.

Instead of a simple tarp, another option to look at is outdoor patio furniture covers. Depending on the side of your rig, you might be able to find either a large BBQ cover or a furniture cover that works well. They are somewhat form fitting, so they just look nicer than a tarp. Also, a local upholstery shop probably wouldn't charge a ton to make a custom one to your sizes - or you could do it yourself.

Regardless, storing it outside with a cover is just fine.

I would think that most of your equipment would be fine outside, depending on your neighborhood.. :eek:

After you cover the equipment be sure to check it occasionally to be sure you don't get a lot of condensation inside. Make sure you have some airflow under the cover.

I am going to be doing this with my brew stand. I plan on finding somewhere to purchase material similar to what they use for BBQ covers (just like JonW said) and have my wife or mother in law sew it together and make it a perfect fit for my stand.

This was a big reason I'm getting my stand custom made by Kurt at brewsteel.com, he is making it so I can store the kettles underneath for storing.

anyone think it would be a bad idea to drop each keg into a large plastic trash bag and tie them off, then place under tarp?

I went this route last year at the place I was living at the time. The rig lived on a patio with an EZ-up covering it. For the most part everything was groovy.

You'll want to pull all your electrics (pumps etc) inside when you're done.

You'll have to get used to the idea of storing your kettles upside down, and doing a good hot rinse with them (including blowing out the valves. Dust, spiders, etc) prior to your brew day.

Back