Storing bottles horizontally?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valvefan

Reaction score
Is it OK to store full bottles horizontally (laying on their side)?

I have limited storage space and I could store many more bottles if laying them down does not create problems.

I look forward to hearing your advice.

Thanks!

Shouldn't make a difference. In fact, this is the first question I've seen on this particular subject. The amount of headspace in a sealed bottle is a constant, so it cannot make a difference in the amount of CO2 distributed, or any other factor for that matter, to my knowledge.

The only problem with bottle conditioning with the bottles horizontal is that the yeast will settle along the side making it harder to pour the beer without getting the yeast. If you store the bottles upright then the yeast settles to the bottom. Then you can pour all but the last little bit.

So for me it is always upright!

What he said. If you store them on their sides, the yeast will settle all along the bottle. Then when you set it upright to open it, all that sediment will stir up and your beer will be cloudy and yeasty. If you store them that way, you'll want to stand a bunch up for a while before opening them so the sediment can resettle again at the bottom. Even that has it's drawbacks because I find the yeast sediment tends to compact over time in the bottom of the bottle so less of it stirs up as your pour. If you're had it on it's side and then upend it, you won't get that advantage even if you leave it to settle again. It'll be loose.

ChshreCat said:
It won't hurt you, but I wouldn't want all my beers to taste the same way... yeasty.

+1. Plus with that much yeast stirred up, I would release fumes that make rhino farts smell like potpourri. Just saying....

Back