Storing Bottled Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rohovie

Reaction score
What is the proper way to store bottled beer for it to age the best?

Obviously you want to keep it at room temp or so to build up carbonation, but do you keep it at room temp after that, or do you move it to the fridge and let it age in there?

i keep em all stored in boxes, the same place where i let them carbonate...ive only rarely had problems with pressure build up or anything like that.

We store them in our constant temperature cellar, in boxes. My husband is obsessed with keeping them in the dark.
We are fairly new to this though...

+1 on the question for this forum. I'm storing my bottles in a slightly cooler room than where I ferment (it's probably between 55 and 60 degrees). Is this too cold?

Mr. Awesome said:
+1 on the question for this forum. I'm storing my bottles in a slightly cooler room than where I ferment (it's probably between 55 and 60 degrees). Is this too cold?

Nope, 50-60 is just fine. Keep them boxed up so that they don't get skunked and you can store them this way for years (excluding wheat beers.)

Sorry for bringing up old posts, but I thought that following bottle-conditioning, the yeast's growth needs to be stunted by refridgerating the beer or else autolysis (yeast cannibalization) will take place producing off flavors. The coldest I can get my beer is probably 60-65 degrees. I don't have any fridge space. What should I do? Can I refrdigerate them overnight and then put them back in a 60-65 degree dark closet?

Assuming that your beer conditioned properly and the yest flocculated out there shouldn't be more then a dusting of yeast on the bottom of the bottle. I haven't noticed any off flavour in beers that I have bottle conditioned for up to a year but they are in a cool dark spot where the temperature is very stable and never exceeds 58F even in the hottest part of summer.

My understanding of beer storage is cooler is better but stability is even more important. In other words your beer will keep better at 70F if that is stable then if it is someplace that is 60F but the temp changes 5-10 degrees daily.

GT

I haven't noticed any off flavour in beers that I have bottle conditioned for up to a year but they are in a cool dark spot where the temperature is very stable and never exceeds 58F even in the hottest part of summer.

After bottling, beer can be stored up to a year during the conditioning/carbonating phase? Are their any special steps for this type of length that are needed?

Back