Storing BLC or Star San in beverage lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max384

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've just cleaned all of my keg beer lines, but I have about two weeks until beer will be ready to serve. Is there any issue with leaving either BLC or Star San in vinyl lines for two weeks?

i leave star san in my bev lines in between beers (could be a month or 2), have not noticed any degradation in the lines or any other issues (off tastes or anything like that). I use Ultra Barrier beer line FWIW

i leave star san in my bev lines in between beers (could be a month or 2), have not noticed any degradation in the lines or any other issues (off tastes or anything like that). I use Ultra Barrier beer line FWIW

Ditto, except my hoses are BevFlex 200 PVC (vinyl). No problems, and I imagine if I didn't do this I would grow all kinds of stuff in there.

I don't do this with PBW, as it may leave deposits and also requires a rinse before use. With the starsan, (or IodoPhor) I just push the sanitizer out with beer, and discard the first cup.

Thanks guys!

I've never ran into this problem before, as I usually have kegs already carbed and lined up to go, so I never have to worry about cleaner or sanitizer sitting in the lines. I usually clean with BLC and then rinse with Star San, and then push that out with the first beer pour, as mentioned... Just in s much quicker timeframe than this.

I have starsan sitting in my lines while I wait for a keg to fully chill and carb. When I go to pour the first pint to get all the sediment out, the lines always frozen.

The thing is, it fools me EVERY TIME into thinking I clogged the diptube with hops and I get my panties in a wad

I have starsan sitting in my lines while I wait for a keg to fully chill and carb. When I go to pour the first pint to get all the sediment out, the lines always frozen.

The thing is, it fools me EVERY TIME into thinking I clogged the diptube with hops and I get my panties in a wad

Do you use a fan and temp controller in your kegerator? I used to have problems with lines and kegs partially freezing until I did that.

When one of my kegs kick I clean the line within the next 2-3 days tops. Usually I clean same day unless I can't and have to wait a day or two. After the BLC cleaning I then rinse the line with water and let it sit as is. I don't leave the faucet open, because I've found in even shorter lengths of tubing, so long as it's a few feet, it really doesn't matter if the ends are open there always is some water droplets in there and it rarely ever appears to dry completely. When it's kegging day I do the usual keg fill with StarSan and push the 5G out through the beerline/faucet. I connect the CO2 and leave the liquid line disconnected till carbed up around 5 days later. I then hookup the liquid line, pull the first few ounces that have lots of yeast and dump it, then pour and drink away.

I've never once had a single issue with this method. I don't ever see mold in my lines and my beer has been perfectly fine. I'll say though, my kegerator is always on so perhaps the refrigeration is helping, or the fact that lines were last rinsed with StarSan. I dunno, just know this way has been working great for me for almost 2 years now.

Oh, I also use the Ultra Barrier Silver beer line as well. Love it!

Rev.

National Chemical, who makes BLC has a FAQ about ‘over cleaning’ beer lines they state “

• Lines absorbing detergents may cause a dry phenolic flavor (medicinal/plastic). ”

• I’d hesitate to leave BLC sit much longer than the 15 minutes they suggested for cleaning for fear of the line absorbing something from the BLC and passing it on to my beer.

• I usually store them with StarSan if anything.

I wouldn't leave anything but fresh beer in my lines, but failing that, fresh water.

Neither BLC/LLC nor Star San are truly benign. And folks that have left the latter in PVC lines for prolonged period have noted a white film inside as a result, no doubt some form of degradation of the interior tubing surface...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Never leave any cleaners or sanitizers in the lines longer than the normal (~15 min) cleaning cycle. This is the universal rule in the beverage trade. Chemicals will leach into lines, and back out into beer. If the system will sit idle for a time, clean it out and blow the lines out with CO2 and let CO2 sit in the lines. Then use your own judgment as to whether you want to start your cleaning regimen over again before reconnecting.

Back