Storing a secondary temp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Draken

Reaction score
Have a Belgian strong ale that's in secondary in my ferm chamber. Have it sitting at 68 and want to keep it in secondary for another month or so. The issue is, I need my ferm chamber for a Pliny clone I am brewing tomorrow. I want to keep it down at 64ish. Should I move the BSA out to a closet (74) or will it be fine in the ferm chamber? The temp probe gets taped to the side of my BB, so I imagine the chamber itself will actually be at 58 or lower. Since the BSA is long past active fermentation I think it's temp will definitely drop down to match the ferm chamber temp.

So am I better off keeping the BSA in the ferm chamber (58) or in the closet (74)?

Temp fluctuation will matter more than which temp, IMHO, so I would vote to move it to the closet and forget about it. If you leave it in the ferm chamber, it will go down, and then come back up, etc., thus resulting in a bunch of fluctuation in temp.

Probably wont matter either way, but for repeatability in the future: the fewer variables, the better.

After 21 days , obviously not relying soley on calendar days, but by hydrometer reading,I move my primaries out of my swamp cooler into a dark room ambient temps are 72, they have always turned out fine. After all I have to make room for my next batch!

I even took a robust porter and moved it to my dark room for 6 months, it at first had a slight cider taste but now that I added vanilla and cold steeped coffee, carbonation took care of that. Set it and forget it!

Once fermentation is done, temp really doesn't matter (within reason). Think bottled beer ...... transport and storage temps can regularly go up in the 80s (or higher).

Back