Stored hops still good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aliu630

Reaction score
So I still have 1 oz of Norther Brewer that I saved in the fridge by just sealing it up again in the plastic bag it came with (not air tight). It's been in the fridge for 2 months and I'm just wondering if it is still usable. I smelled it and it seemed fine. Would rather not waste it, but don't want to ruin the flavor of the beer either.

If it smells good, I'm sure it's fine. Next time you have extra, though, you should wrap them up tight and freeze them.

Cool. I wasn't sure if freezing them would ruin them in anyway because when I see them at the LHBS, they just keep in in the fridge instead of a freezer. I hope that is ok? Thanks for the reply

Do you guys freeze all your hops?
Would freezing damage the hops in anyway?

I freeze all my hops. An airtight package will stay fresh a couple years. An open package at least six months, I should think.

solidghost said:
Do you guys freeze all your hops?
Would freezing damage the hops in anyway?

027qu0.jpg

:rockin:

I have some hops that are over a year old but have been stored in the freezer. They have lost some of their AA% but you can calculate how much depending on time/variety/temperature.

It is a great idea to keep hops in the freezer till you plan to use them.

Wow..that is a lot of hops! I should've done more research and stocked up on hops b4 this stupid shortage. 2 oz of almost any hops at my LHBS is around $8 now. My friend down in SD is still paying around $4 for his though. Kind of weird as we're about an 1 1/2 hours away from each other. Guess cuz my LHBS is the only one around here.

Yeah, our 2oz packs are $4 at homebrewmart - maybe you can order hops online from them or another online brew store?

Yeah, I might start doing that now. I've actually visited homebrewmart, hydrobrew, and american brew mart while I was down visiting a friend. Prices are a lot better down there.

Back