Stored grain accidentally heated up.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been brewing for about 15 years and never had this happen, but I just brought home my grain bill of Maris and wheat for a nice westie I plan to brew in about a week. I set the grain down on and around a dehydrator we have. My wife decided to use the dehydrator without moving the grain. The grain and wheat got pretty hot (120ish F). I noticed this and moved all the grain, but it was there for at least an hour. Does anyone know if I should be concerned about impacts on this grain?

I have been brewing for about 15 years and never had this happen, but I just brought home my grain bill of Maris and wheat for a nice westie I plan to brew in about a week. I set the grain down on and around a dehydrator we have. My wife decided to use the dehydrator without moving the grain. The grain and wheat got pretty hot (120ish F). I noticed this and moved all the grain, but it was there for at least an hour. Does anyone know if I should be concerned about impacts on this grain?
I wouldn’t be, truck trailers and rail cars can easily get that hot inside most of the country most of the year so I’d bet that many folks sacks of grains have seen those temps before since they are shipped around the country in them.
Now long term storage at those temps would be a problem.

I wouldn’t be, truck trailers and rail cars can easily get that hot inside most of the country most of the year so I’d bet that many folks sacks of grains have seen those temps before since they are shipped around the country in them.
Now long term storage at those temps would be a problem.
Thanks. I figured I was being overly paranoid. That is a very valid point about shipping.

No way, dude. I left some grain in my truck on a Friday afternoon and didn't realize it until Sunday morning. Made beer just the same.

Bee tee dubs, this was in Fort Worth in the summer. The inside of the truck was hotter than the surface of the sun.

Back