Store Bought Juice & Yeast Log

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokerlund

Reaction score
Since I started brewing, I have made cider from store bought juice. Just add some yeast and BOOM, Cider! Add a bit more sugar (how much more is debatable before you hit wine) and you can bump it up a bit.

It wasn't long before I was buying other types of juice to mix or even do straight up. I have made Oceanspray Cranberry, Welches and now Chadwick Bay Tropical Blend. Basically anything I find a Costco that is 100% juice, gets the yeast treatment. I wanted to start keeping a log of what I make and how it comes out for my own reference. I figured there might be somebody else out there who might appreciate some of my learning as well, so here it is.

Tropical Blend Cider
96oz of Chadwick Bay Tropical Blend (OG 1.055)
1 packet of Red Star Champagne Yeast
5oz of Corn Sugar (I had it laying around and wanted to dry out the cider)
1/2 cup of table sugar
(OG after sugar ~estimated 1.070)
Mixed on 7/23 and left to ferment at about 70*

(More to come, please feel free to document you own too)

Tropical Blend.jpeg

interested. I think you can use any of the juices/blends that don't contain tartaric acid. Most commercial juices are offered in half gallons here in th U.S.. I'd like to see a bunch of different 1 gallon recipes.

Tropical Blend Cider
96oz of Chadwick Bay Tropical Blend (OG 1.055)
1 packet of Red Star Champagne Yeast
5oz of Corn Sugar (I had it laying around and wanted to dry out the cider)
1/2 cup of table sugar
(OG after sugar ~estimated 1.070)
Mixed on 7/23 and left to ferment at about 70*

(More to come, please feel free to document you own too)

It turned into a nice little 'tropical' cider. I was very concerned that it would be gross, but after about 3 months or so, I have it in a nice little Cider Experiment Sampler and it is one of my favorites.

Back