Storage of Whole Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Netflyer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I asked the crushed grain question in a different thread, let me ask the whole grain question. If I have a bag of 50# 2 row unmilled, what is the best way to store and what is the life expectancy? I'm asking cause I'm wondering if it better to get a mill and crush the grain just before brewing but the trade off would be how long I can keep the whole grain.

So far I have learned here that crushed grain is best kept cool and dry and if possible in a vac. sealed container, if not in as air tight a container as possible. Palmer says 2 weeks, but if it is crunchy between the teeth and not soft it is probably still good even up to a few months.

So the question is will whole grain last longer? I make about 2-3 batches per month until spring when I up it to 3-5 so I'm really small time, what is the best way to deal w/grain for me?

Appreciate the help!

I keep my grain stored in their original bag, rolled up and placed in a plastic tub. I store in my dry basement where the temp is around 66F all year.

I don't worry too much about how old the grain is. I take care of it and it takes care of me.

It seems you will go through your supply on a regular basis. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

as airtight as possible (equates to bugproof, too). a couple of layers of plastic bags inside a lidded bin (no ventholes) has worked ok in my basement brewcloset.

no scientific proof, but keeping the enzymes protected in a whole grain seems like a longer lasting choice. IIRC, moisture is the enemy.

(So, Netflyer, scoop an intimate quantity of crushed grist into your shirt for testing)

Vittle Vaults are a great way to store grain. This is how I store it at my store. Any way you can keep it dry and at a reasonable temp your going to be able to store it for a very long time. There are people here that stoe it in a metal trash can and have very good luck.
Cheers
Jay

5 gal food grade bucket that has a lid with a rubber gasket seal. The bucket and lid are generally sold individually but you cant get both for around $6. I have used these for years to store flour, grains long term for baking and they are the best. Cheap and very effective. Montanaandy

I keep mine in 5 gallon Homer buckets w/ Homer lids. My first 55 lb. sack, bought in July and about half gone now, is still in pretty good shape. Think I saw someone else on here using these buckets.

5 gal food grade bucket that has a lid with a rubber gasket seal. The bucket and lid are generally sold individually but you cant get both for around $6. I have used these for years to store flour, grains long term for baking and they are the best. Cheap and very effective. Montanaandy

aprox how many buckets for a bag of grain?

Bumping out of curiosity of the home depot buckets. They are not food grade and I'm wondering if I will need 2 buckets

Bumping out of curiosity of the home depot buckets. They are not food grade and I'm wondering if I will need 2 buckets

I use them... haven't seen any problems from them.
I can put a 55# bag in 2 buckets. I put specialty grains in 1 gallon ziplocks and store them in the buckets also.

Ed

Back