Stops in area of Blueridge Parkway

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KVP

Reaction score
Hello all,
Planning on driving the Blueridge Parkway and wondered what brewpubs are in striking distance. I've found a couple but think there must be more.
Give me your suggestions.

Thanks, Kevin

What section of the BRP? If you're going to be in the area of Asheville, stop by highland brewery. They are a little bit away from the parkway, but they have been my favorite brewery for the last 25 years. Never had one of their beers that I didn't like. Definitely worth a stop.

It's not a brewery, but vidalia restaurant in Boone is great too, when you get up that way.

There's a handful of good ones I can recommend near the Virginia end of the parkway. Blue Mountain Brewery is one of my favorites and has great pizzas. Basic City is virtually on the parkway (if it extended another mile or two) and is pretty darn good as well.

Enjoy your drive. I've traveled the Parkway entire length three times from Cherokee to Front Royal, as well as different shorter lengths (3~6 hour day trips) many more. The last time was less than a month ago in a motor home between Southern Virginia to the northern terminus of Skyline Drive.

There are no "easy on, easy off" brew pubs, but there are many small town destinations within 10 miles or so accessible from the entrances along the way. If you enjoy wine tastings however, there is a wonderful little vinyard named Chateau Morissette near Floyd, VA, that is within a mile of the Parkway. It's worthy of a stop. Don't expect wines as good as Napa or Sonoma, but there are some varietals now produced in Virginia that are quite good. The facilities at Morissette are as nice as any from Santa Barbara to Yakima, and the views to the West from the Blue Ridge to the Massanutten Range are stunning.

+1 on Asheville, NC. It's frenetic compared to the pace of the Parkway, but if you want an enjoyable place to visit, make it a (at least one day) stop. Two words: Wicked Weed. The Parkway actually has an exit/entry point in Asheville, so it's convenient.

And speaking of pace, the speed limit is generally 35 mph, but your average speed will be much lower, if not because of 'other' traffic it'll be due to you wanting to drive slower. Weekends during Leaf Peeping season can be a parking lot, especially along the Skyline Drive section. Be forewarned. Go during the week if you can. For 'normal' travel, allow three days for an enjoyable, relaxing trip. Plan overnight stays off the Parkway in Asheville or Boone/Blowing Rock, and 'somewhere' in Central Virginia.

Take it slow and enjoy the ride. The trip itself is truly the destination.

Brooo Brother

Back