Stopping maple syrup from fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanwolfhausen

Reaction score
I want to add maple syrup to secondary with some vanilla beans to my porter. Problem is I want the flavor and not have to worry about it getting refermented. I know campden slows it but, is there anyway to really stop it? I can't put in cold since my kegerator is filled to the max. I usually would add to keg and just put in kegerator.

You could pasteurize the beer to kill all the yeast, so they won't eat the sugar. But that would also prevent aging it from doing much more.

Assuming it's a 5 gallon batch, and assuming you will ultimately be carbonating via Co2 and not relying on yeast to carbonate the beer, rack the beer into a fresh vessel leaving as much of the yeast behind as possible and add one crushed tab of campden. It won't totally kill the yeast, as you noted, but that should prevent the yeast from doing much of anything else and achieve the result you are looking for. Although, I wouldn't stress too much on refermentation loosing the flavor of the maple. I've done a couple of maple beers and even with fermentation there was still a quite strong maple presence that remained.

Well, one time I added some oak chips and ended up infecting my batch with lacto (I think) and I noticed it right away so I followed some advice from my LHBS. I slowly transferred it from my bucket to a kettle and heated it at 150 for 30 mins and then cooled it and transferred it to the secondary to make sure nothing was alive. Sure enough all yeasts were toast and it didn't have enough time to notice any off flavors!

So as long as you want to halt fermentation I would recommend heating the batch up (before adding maple syrup). The trick is to NOT go above 150, you rest for 30 to make up for the lower temp.

Assuming it's a 5 gallon batch, and assuming you will ultimately be carbonating via Co2 and not relying on yeast to carbonate the beer, rack the beer into a fresh vessel leaving as much of the yeast behind as possible and add one crushed tab of campden. It won't totally kill the yeast, as you noted, but that should prevent the yeast from doing much of anything else and achieve the result you are looking for. Although, I wouldn't stress too much on refermentation loosing the flavor of the maple. I've done a couple of maple beers and even with fermentation there was still a quite strong maple presence that remained.

I was wondering about this. Now my question is how much syrup do you guys add for a 5 gal batch. I'm thinking anywhere from 1.5-2lbs. I'm making a maple syrup porter.

I was wondering about this. Now my question is how much syrup do you guys add for a 5 gal batch. I'm thinking anywhere from 1.5-2lbs. I'm making a maple syrup porter.

I used 3x 19-oz cans of grade A for a 10-gallon batch of maple smoked, maple syrup porter. It's tasty, with just enough maple flavor. This was added at the end of the boil.

MC

Back