Stopper fell into brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chief415

Reaction score
Brewed an American Pale Ale today. After transferring to my 6.5 gal carboy and pitching yeast, I attempted to place a Thermowell into the carboy. It wouldn't stay snug into the neck so I applied some additional pressure. I push the darn thing into the carboy. I do have another stopper on a secondary fermenter that is hardly showing any signs of activity. Should I pull the stopper from the secondary and use it on the fresh batch? Any suggestions for the secondary until I get another stopper tomorrow?

You are probably fine. Your yeast will most likely out perform any wild bugs that may have been on your stopper. Just sanitize a piece of foil and place it on your carboy. Pick up a new stopper next time you're at the LHBS.

Cheers!

Your beer will be fine.

Had the same thing happen to me -- on Christmas Eve. Went 36 hours with a little bowl sitting over the airlock hole on my bucket lid before my LHBS was open and I was able to pick up a replacement. Just racked to secondary a few days ago; no visible or tastable signs of infection after a good month in the bucket after The Incident.

Leave the stopper in there. Don't go fishing around for it. Seal it with some starsan glazed aluminum foil or saran wrap and go to your homebrew store for another stopper. Then siphon, bottle and drink about 10-12 of those babies while you try to fish the stopper out from inside your carboy...

Been there, done that. I had a stopper in almost every primary until I changed to a different type. Just leave it in there and you should be fine.

I always star san the heck out of my stoppers assuming they will be spending 3-4 weeks submerged in beer, i had one batch with 2 stoppers in it that turned out fine.

The key is spraying everything down with sanitizer, then drying the stopper and neck with a clean paper towel before inserting the stopper. Wet carboy plus wet stopper will always result in it popping out or going in.

Oh, and the craigtube link above on getting the stopper out is great. Works every time...fast and efficient.

Back