Stop Scoby forming after bottleing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beat

Reaction score
I do a first fermentation with Hibiskus Tea, and then a second fermentation fresh fruits.

After this I‘m bottleing the Kombucha and cool it in the fridge. After some time there‘s a small Scoby back on the top. Thats normal I know, but my clients do not like this. Does anybody have an idea how to stop scoby building after bottleing? Without heat or chemical treatment.

Good ideas are welcome

Well seeing as how scoby formation is the result of Oxygen exposure, I would think that maybe purging bottles with C02 before filling and purging the headspace after filling might help?

Hi Lordsoth
Thanks for your reply. That sound interesting to me. How could I realize that with a small amout of bottles (around 100)? Means get the CO2 in the bottles.

Do you thing that the yeast building in the Kombucha will stop also with the CO2.
Regards

I've never had a new SCOBY in any bottles. I think it would be odd to have one, actually. When you fill the bottles, they should be around an inch below the top, in the neck of the bottles, so no place for a SCOBY to grow, since there shouldn't be much air contact. I use grolsch bottles (flip top) or plastic PET bottles with narrow necks. What kind of bottles do you use?

I use transparent PET plastic bottles, 330ml - 38mm drink-open.

As far as I understand is the building of a new scoby a question of oxygene in the bottle, right?

The yeast clouds comes from another influence. Is there an other possibiliy to stop that, Exept filtering or chemicals?

I wonder if maybe the PET plastic bottles is allowing too much oxygen ingress? I never get a scoby in my bottles either and I also use Grolsch style flip tops. Maybe next time I bottle I'll use a soda bottle or something just to see if it forms a scoby.

Back