Stop fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RUNningonbrew

Reaction score
I poured my wort onto a yeast cake of cal ale over the weekend, I don't want the beer to end up too dry, how can I stop fermentation? I want it to end at 1.018, the last ipa on this yeast ended at 1.012. Will cold crashing work? I'm going to keg this beer anyway.

Well I want to harvest the yeast. Will cold crashing once it hits the gravity I want affect the taste? I know the yeast "clean up" after themselves

Well I want to harvest the yeast. Will cold crashing once it hits the gravity I want affect the taste? I know the yeast "clean up" after themselves

Hello, After the beer has finished with being in the primary, I would transfer it to a secondary or a bottling bucket depending on if its at your target gravity reading or not, then you can harvest your yeast and cold crash your beer separately.

Cheers :mug:

Are you bottling or kegging? If you are bottling then you are stuck with whatever final gravity you get if you want to not pasteurize and not have bottle bombs. If kegging then you can add campden tabs to stop the yeast or cold crash and keep it cold. Even when you cold crash there are yeast in suspension that will start eating again once it warms up. I don't know how any of those will affect the flavor of the beer though.

If you want to manipulate your final gravity, generally, do not do it by trying to arrest a healthy fermentation. If it's still fermenting, it's not finished. Interrupting a fermentation at the FG you desire is in no way equivalent to fermenting a beer out to a healthy finish at the FG you desire. Manipulate your recipe, your mash temp or your yeast selection. Don't interrupt a healthy ferment.

Pilgarlic said:
If you want to manipulate your final gravity, generally, do not do it by trying to arrest a healthy fermentation. If it's still fermenting, it's not finished. Interrupting a fermentation at the FG you desire is in no way equivalent to fermenting a beer out to a healthy finish at the FG you desire. Manipulate your recipe, your mash temp or your yeast selection. Don't interrupt a healthy ferment.

Thanks, I agree with this, my mash ended up around 148, instead of 156, need to work in my temps

if this is another IPA, i'd rather be at 148F than 156F. if you're set on the 1.018 FG tho, you can always add malto-dextrine after to get you back up

Latest posts

Back