Stone Ruination yeast harvesting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBrewMasterRace

Enthusiastic Homebrewer
Reaction score
I've been drinking stone beer for quite a while now and of course sincerely enjoy the flavor profile.

I've recently been seeing more and more often them having their "Ruination sans filtre." I was wondering some things about this as I'd totally love to grab their yeast and have to ask

1. Is this beer pastuerized but unfiltered?

2. Has anyone used an unfiltered IPA from stone to harvest yeast?

This is more of a, can it be done and if so has anyone tried.

Thanks in advance for any information

I doubt they would pasteurize unfiltered beer - I can't see much advantage in doing that.

In fact, i think their filtered beer isn't pasteurized either. I once dropped some of of a "regular" Stone beer on malt agar and got yeast growth. I brewed with it and it tasted like an English ale yeast to me, so I assume there's some amount of live yeast, tiny as it may be, in all Stone beers.

If you want to harvest yeast from a stone beer I’d recommend a low ABV one. In general you should never try to harvest yeast from something with high ABV. Alcohol is toxic to yeast.

Or you could use Wyeast 1217-PC and ferment at 72. That’s the Stone yeast and that’s the temp they ferment at. Add one large bittering charge at 90 and the rest of the hops in the whirlpool, that’s generally their process as well.

Back