Stone Ruination clone to black IIPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeantownR6

Reaction score
I was thinking of taking the stone ruination clone recipe from byo and making it into a black IPA by adding CafraIII.

talking with the guy at my LHBS once about black IPAs, he suggested to me once about adding the CafraIII to the sparge to just get the color. ive never made a black IPA and was wondering if doing this will add any roast/flavor from the CafraIII?

if i wanted to make this recipe into a black IPA, would it be better to add to the mash or sparge?

thanks

StoneRecipe1.jpg

I am drinking a black IPA right now. I just add 8oz debittered black to the mash. It adds a slight roast flavor that is about right for my taste. The color is stout dark.

I am drinking a black IPA right now. I just add 8oz debittered black to the mash. It adds a slight roast flavor that is about right for my taste. The color is stout dark.

I agree completely with beergolf. I did a straight ahead IPA with 8 oz of carafa III and it has a somewhat roasty character to it. Very nice but different from an IPA. Try it, you'll like it. In fact, I am thinking about brewing one this weekend :mug:

ive drank black IPAs before, just never made one.

stone grain bill:
14lbs 2 row
14 oz of C15.

whats best to adust for the CafraIII?

add carfra III with no adjustments?
add cafra III and adust C15?
add cafra III and omit C15?

Back