Stone Brewing's Bottling yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brann_mac_Finnchad

Reaction score
Exactly what the subject says--I'm building up the dregs from the anniversary bottle of their 08-08-08 Belgian IPA, and have no idea what it is (using apple juice, so starter fermentability isn't an issue).

I sincerely doubt they used the fermentation strain for the bottling, so has anyone found out from the company what they do use?

Slainte :mug:

Why wouldn't they use the same yeast? The least types of yeast they have around, the less chance of cross contamination.

I think they use the Duvel yeast in their Cali-belgie ale, and I think they use the same strain in the 08-08-08. That is probably what it is.

It is not a secret what they use, and it is readily available, so no reason to hide it.

Breweries do it to protect a proprietary strain. Don't know if stone does or not but Boulevard does.

I bet its the same strain. That said, it's a (7) year old bottle, so I wouldn't expect there to be any viable yeast for culturing in there anyways.

Is it 7 years old, or is it the September 21, 2015 release STONE 20TH ANNIVERSARY ENCORE SERIES 08.08.08 VERTICAL EPIC ALE?

Is it 7 years old, or is it the September 21, 2015 release STONE 20TH ANNIVERSARY ENCORE SERIES 08.08.08 VERTICAL EPIC ALE?
It's the Encore series (I did say it was the anniversary). Viability isn't an issue--I had signs of starter fermentation before I posted.

And the local Anchorage brewing uses a wine strain for bottling--so you can get their brett b. but not their primary fermentation strain. I know others do the same, to keep it proprietary.
Weistephenweiner (sp? The German weizen beer) uses a lager strain for their bottle conditioning, not their hefe strain.

have you used this harvested yeast in a brew? did it come out with belgian character or did it seem more american? i'm trying to harvest from the 080808 bottle too but i don't want to go through the trouble if they used a different yeast strain for conditioning. thanks!

I did. However, I ended up pitching a secondary strain as well because I didn't see signs of fermentation in a few days.

The beer came out fairly clean, I think. However, there were a lot of other flavours in there, which could have covered up yeast derived ones.

Latest posts

Back