Stone Brewing sues MillerCoors for Trademark Infringement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betarhoalphadelta

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting...

Seems Keystone has released a new marketing campaign which basically drops the "key" from prominent display, and Stone Brewing is suing them for trademark infringement and trademark dilution.

Based on the little I know of trademark law [which is more than most, but IANAL], I think they've got a pretty solid case.

When I first saw the can I immediately thought about stone brewing and wondered if they got into a new logo. Then I saw an article about the suit.

It's interesting that they had had previous dialogue about the Stone trademarks.

I've had a case of that in my garage for the last few months and never had any thought of a connection to Stone brewery.

I don't think there is much of a case.

Just my .02, but I’ve heard the line “15 bones for 30 stones” since 2005. I’m sure we picked it up from people older than we were.

In my entirely unprofessional opinion it comes down to the difference between Stone Brewery, and stone being shorthand for Keystone. I watched the video with the Stone brewery owner, and he almost made a point to cover up the can where it said “Key”

So wait you can trademark a single word? Or the song happy birthday? Or sue for spilling a coffee? When and where does it end?
20 years ago in college we called them stones. Maybe they should sue stone brewing co.

Stone doesn't have a particularly strong case, IMO (not a lawyer, but have some experience with an identical situation).

Stone Brewing can trademark "Stone" and "Brewing" only in a unique form, i.e, a particular color and/or typeface, or in a logo wherein the colors and artwork are specified in the trademark application, but cannot claim an exclusive right to a commonly used word or words.

If Keystone starts using Keystone as a logo, Stone might complain that some customers could be confused by the emphasis on "stone", but the current packaging doesn't look that much different, to me, than the old version.

In the case I mentioned above, the complainant had to withdraw its complaint to the USPTO because its trademark was for a specific logo only, not for the three, commonly used, words which were being disputed.

As much as I enjoy Stone, there's always a special place in my heart for Keystone light. Always keep some in the fridge. So cheap.

I don't know jack about law, and have no idea how this ends up.
I seriously wonder if Stone Brewing actually believes that there would be confusion here to the consumer. I mean, everyone has called Keystone can ""Stones" as long I can remember. The can really looks the same as it always has. I seems pretty obvious that marketing is just trying to make Keystone sound edgier.

I'm not a fan of the Keystone, but I don't really give a crap what they do. I don't see why anyone else would. Unless Stone really thinks there would be some kind of confusion here, and I just don't see it...

I feel like the way this stuff gets dealt with, that they could be successful in this lawsuit. There was a case not too long ago when Moosehead brewery sued a semi-local place to me that made a "Moose Wizz" root beer...and won. I see more chance for confusion in this Stone/Keystone case than in that moosehead/moose wizz case...

So wait you can trademark a single word? Or the song happy birthday? Or sue for spilling a coffee? When and where does it end?
20 years ago in college we called them stones. Maybe they should sue stone brewing co.
Trademark (trade being the business and Mark being things like logos and brands) are completely different from copyright (which is literally ownership of an intellectual product, something that a person creates like a song, movie, book, phone design or car design). Someone created Happy Birthday, and had rights to it by virtue they created it (which ostensibly lasted too long, but that is another story).

Whether or not Stone Brewing has a case (which I don't think they do, as it is merely the position of the cans that can be construed to be confusing), they should be defending themselves because there is an opportunity to lose legal protection for logos and such if they aren't defended.

My company trademarked a word with a particular typeface and color.
Lawyers don't print signs, we put this word on everything from shirts to hats in different colors and typefaces. It eventually became an adjective, kinda like how people in the south call every soft drink a "coke". Once other companies started using it, it became very difficult to defend the trademark since we weren't using the original trademark properly anymore.

Stone will have a similar problem since they have dozens of iterations of their logo and demon dude across multiple forms of media.
I doubt that they put a trademark in on every single one of them. If you go to their home page today you will see a new disclaimer with their official logo.
They are on damage control, they know they have a trademark problem and will likely lose this case.
We had to do the same thing to reclaim our trademark; changed hundreds of signs and now have to go through legal to print anything with our trademarked logo.

Yes, you can trademark a word. Now, as pointed out, trademark and copyright are different things.

Copyright is ownership of original work. It ensures that as a creator of that work, you have certain rights in how that work is reproduced and used. I.e. if I write a book, and you want to retype the words of that book onto standard paper and sell them for half-price, I can sue you for copyright infringement. You have used my work in an unauthorized way.

As for trademark, it's related to identification of a product in a market. It doesn't mean they own the word Stone, it means that by using Stone as an identifying moniker of their business, they have certain rights to stop other competitors from using it in the same business. It *must* be the same business. If I wanted to open up a photography shop called Stone Photography, or an archery equipment company called Stone Archery, Stone Brewing would have zero case to stop me [unless I perhaps used a font or decided to use a gargoyle in my advertising, i.e. something that definitively linked it to them beyond just the word].

But this is big business. It's harder to have a case when your word is a common dictionary word, which is one reason that so many newer business make up names or use weird spelling--it's a lot easier to trademark [and defend your mark] and it's much less likely to infringe on someone else's mark. But that doesn't mean that you can't trademark an ordinary dictionary word, nor that you can defend it.

Again, I'm not a lawyer. Based on the little I know of trademark law, Stone seems to have a case, but there's a reason I'm paid to be an engineer rather than a trademark lawyer. I could be wrong.

Stone Brewing can trademark "Stone" and "Brewing" only in a unique form, i.e, a particular color and/or typeface, or in a logo wherein the colors and artwork are specified in the trademark application, but cannot claim an exclusive right to a commonly used word or words.

My company trademarked a word with a particular typeface and color.
Lawyers don't print signs, we put this word on everything from shirts to hats in different colors and typefaces. It eventually became an adjective, kinda like how people in the south call every soft drink a "coke". Once other companies started using it, it became very difficult to defend the trademark since we weren't using the original trademark properly anymore.

Again, I'm not a lawyer, so I may be wrong. But I happen to believe that you're both mistaken on this.

grampa, I don't think you NEED to specify a specific typeface, color, etc. Typically a company will own multiple trademarks, and ABSOLUTELY will trademark their logo. But as for the word itself, I believe from reading Stone's trademark application it's trademarking the word itself, *as used for beers and ales*. As I mention above, that wouldn't stop me from starting "Stone Photography" as long as I'm not also appropriating their logos, as Stone is a common dictionary word. But I would absolutely lose a trademark case if I opened a restaurant called Famous Dave's Barbecue and just using a completely different font/color/logo than Famous Dave's. I would probably even lose a trademark case if I opened Infamous Dave's Barbecue [also using different font/color/logo], because they would rightly suggest that it might cause confusion in the marketplace.

mredge, your company might have screwed itself by not making its trademark applications generic enough. I.e. if you only trademarked the logo, but not the word, and it was a common dictionary word, you might have lost usage of it. But IMHO trademarks do apply to words without specification of font/color/logo.

However, your company also might have screwed itself by not aggressively enforcing the mark and allowing it to become generic. That's what Stone is trying to avoid. If they don't aggressively enforce their mark, and allow it to dilute, it makes it impossible 5 years down the line for them to go backwards and enforce it after it's already lost its value.

In fact, you don't *need* to register a trademark to make it enforceable. However, it's stronger if you do. That's the difference when you see the "™" mark on something vs the "®" mark. If you use TM it's puts the world on notice that you consider it your own mark, whether you register it or not. And you can enforce it. You can't use the circle-R until you actually have it as an accepted registered mark though.

Legal stuff aside, I think it's wise for Stone to protect their name. They have to act as the "dark horse" to defend their title as a competitor in the same market.

Stone brewing wasting money on lawyers for nonsense that doesn't matter. I'm guessing they don't necessarily care. I'm thinking it is easy marketing to the masses; win or lose. Spread the stone brewing name to a wider audience.

Some housekeeping: The song, "Happy Birthday" involved a copyright, not a trademark. The McDonald's coffee case was not about her spilling coffee on herself, but rather the coffee being 50* F hotter (190* v. 140*) than industry/reasonable standard. It was a defective product, she ordered coffee; but got hot freaking lava instead. Neither of those examples apply to the Stone v. Keystone case.

Back to Stone. Yes, you can trademark a word, but it has to meet specific requirements. According to the United States Patent Office, "A trademark is generally a word, phrase, symbol, or design, or a combination thereof, that identifies and distinguishes the source of the goods of one party from those of others." The phrase, "Stone Brewing" distinguishes its beer from other breweries. The word, "Keystone" distinguishes that beer from others. But like fresh wort, it gets sticky.

For purposes of the suit, the standard for establishing trademark infringement is likelihood of confusion; that is, whether a consumer could be confused. This results in a multi-factor (coincidentally, 9 in the Ninth Circuit) test according to the jury instruction on the court's website:

(1) Strength or Weakness of the Plaintiff’s Mark. The more the consuming public recognizes the plaintiff’s trademark as an indication of origin of the plaintiff’s goods, the more likely it is that consumers would be confused about the source of the defendant’s goods if the defendant uses a similar mark.

(2) Defendant’s Use of the Mark. If the defendant and plaintiff use their trademarks on the same, related, or complementary kinds of goods there may be a greater likelihood of confusion about the source of the goods than otherwise.

(3) Similarity of Plaintiff’s and Defendant’s Marks. If the overall impression created by the plaintiff’s trademark in the marketplace is similar to that created by the defendant’s trademark in [appearance] [sound] [or] [meaning], there is a greater chance [that consumers are likely to be confused by defendant’s use of a mark] [of likelihood of confusion]. [Similarities in appearance, sound or meaning weigh more heavily than differences in finding the marks are similar.]

(4) Actual Confusion. If use by the defendant of the plaintiff’s trademark has led to instances of actual confusion, this strongly suggests a likelihood of confusion. However actual confusion is not required for a finding of likelihood of confusion. Even if actual confusion did not occur, the defendant’s use of the trademark may still be likely to cause confusion. As you consider whether the trademark used by the defendant creates for consumers a likelihood of confusion with the plaintiff’s trademark, you should weigh any instances of actual confusion against the opportunities for such confusion. If the instances of actual confusion have been relatively frequent, you may find that there has been substantial actual confusion. If, by contrast, there is a very large volume of sales, but only a few isolated instances of actual confusion you may find that there has not been substantial actual confusion.

(5) Defendant’s Intent. Knowing use by defendant of the plaintiff’s trademark to identify similar goods may strongly show an intent to derive benefit from the reputation of the plaintiff’s mark, suggesting an intent to cause a likelihood of confusion. On the other hand, even in the absence of proof that the defendant acted knowingly, the use of plaintiff’s trademark to identify similar goods may indicate a likelihood of confusion.

(6) Marketing/Advertising Channels. If the plaintiff’s and defendant’s [goods] [services] are likely to be sold in the same or similar stores or outlets, or advertised in similar media, this may increase the likelihood of confusion.

(7) Consumer’s Degree of Care. The more sophisticated the potential buyers of the goods or the more costly the goods, the more careful and discriminating the reasonably prudent purchaser exercising ordinary caution may be. They may be less likely to be confused by similarities in the plaintiff’s and defendant’s trademarks.

(8) Product Line Expansion. When the parties’ products differ, you may consider how likely the plaintiff is to begin selling the products for which the defendant is using the plaintiff’s trademark. If there is a strong possibility of expanding into the other party’s market, there is a greater likelihood of confusion.

[(9) Other Factors. Insert any other factors that bear on likelihood of confusion.]

I doubt Stone will be able to prove Keystone's intent to confuse, but who knows at this point. There may or not be actual confusion by consumers. It will be interesting to follow and see how Keystone responds.

I agree it's wise of Stone to sue to protect (or risk being "estopped" as the lawyers say, from doing so later) its trademark. Let's see what happens. Does Stone prove its case, does Keystone settle, or does a jury decide whether Stone are just a bunch of Arrogant Bastards?

Last edited:
Some housekeeping: The song, "Happy Birthday" involved a copyright, not a trademark. The McDonald's coffee case was not about her spilling coffee on herself, but rather the coffee being 50* F hotter (190* v. 140*) than industry/reasonable standard. It was a defective product, she ordered coffee; but got hot freaking lava instead. Neither of those examples apply to the Stone v. Keystone case.

Back to Stone. Yes, you can trademark a word, but it has to meet specific requirements. According to the United States Patent Office, "A trademark is generally a word, phrase, symbol, or design, or a combination thereof, that identifies and distinguishes the source of the goods of one party from those of others." The phrase, "Stone Brewing" distinguishes its beer from other breweries. The word, "Keystone" distinguishes that beer from others. But like fresh wort, it gets sticky.

For purposes of the suit, the standard for establishing trademark infringement is likelihood of confusion; that is, whether a consumer could be confused. This results in a multi-factor (coincidentally, 9 in the Ninth Circuit) test according to the jury instruction on the court's website:

(1) Strength or Weakness of the Plaintiff’s Mark. The more the consuming public recognizes the plaintiff’s trademark as an indication of origin of the plaintiff’s goods, the more likely it is that consumers would be confused about the source of the defendant’s goods if the defendant uses a similar mark.

(2) Defendant’s Use of the Mark. If the defendant and plaintiff use their trademarks on the same, related, or complementary kinds of goods there may be a greater likelihood of confusion about the source of the goods than otherwise.

(3) Similarity of Plaintiff’s and Defendant’s Marks. If the overall impression created by the plaintiff’s trademark in the marketplace is similar to that created by the defendant’s trademark in [appearance] [sound] [or] [meaning], there is a greater chance [that consumers are likely to be confused by defendant’s use of a mark] [of likelihood of confusion]. [Similarities in appearance, sound or meaning weigh more heavily than differences in finding the marks are similar.]

(4) Actual Confusion. If use by the defendant of the plaintiff’s trademark has led to instances of actual confusion, this strongly suggests a likelihood of confusion. However actual confusion is not required for a finding of likelihood of confusion. Even if actual confusion did not occur, the defendant’s use of the trademark may still be likely to cause confusion. As you consider whether the trademark used by the defendant creates for consumers a likelihood of confusion with the plaintiff’s trademark, you should weigh any instances of actual confusion against the opportunities for such confusion. If the instances of actual confusion have been relatively frequent, you may find that there has been substantial actual confusion. If, by contrast, there is a very large volume of sales, but only a few isolated instances of actual confusion you may find that there has not been substantial actual confusion.

(5) Defendant’s Intent. Knowing use by defendant of the plaintiff’s trademark to identify similar goods may strongly show an intent to derive benefit from the reputation of the plaintiff’s mark, suggesting an intent to cause a likelihood of confusion. On the other hand, even in the absence of proof that the defendant acted knowingly, the use of plaintiff’s trademark to identify similar goods may indicate a likelihood of confusion.

(6) Marketing/Advertising Channels. If the plaintiff’s and defendant’s [goods] [services] are likely to be sold in the same or similar stores or outlets, or advertised in similar media, this may increase the likelihood of confusion.

(7) Consumer’s Degree of Care. The more sophisticated the potential buyers of the goods or the more costly the goods, the more careful and discriminating the reasonably prudent purchaser exercising ordinary caution may be. They may be less likely to be confused by similarities in the plaintiff’s and defendant’s trademarks.

(8) Product Line Expansion. When the parties’ products differ, you may consider how likely the plaintiff is to begin selling the products for which the defendant is using the plaintiff’s trademark. If there is a strong possibility of expanding into the other party’s market, there is a greater likelihood of confusion.

[(9) Other Factors. Insert any other factors that bear on likelihood of confusion.]

I doubt Stone will be able to prove Keystone's intent to confuse, but who knows at this point. There may or not be actual confusion by consumers. It will be interesting to follow and see how Keystone responds.

I agree it's wise of Stone to sue to protect (or risk being "estopped" as the lawyers say, from doing so later) its trademark. Let's see what happens. Does Stone prove its case, does Keystone settle, or does a jury decide whether Stone are just a bunch of Arrogant Bastards?

I wasn't trying to say that all of the suits are similar I was simply trying to say that there's far too many people who are quick to file suit because it's become the "American way" lately. I'm done with this thread because we almost seem like we're enabling this type of idiocracy.
Maybe I'd think differently if I were a patent/trademark lawyer......

I don't believe intent matters, any lawyer worth his weight in salt could show that bold facing 'Stone' on a can of beer when there is literally a fairly large craft brewery named Stone could possibly be confusing to a consumer. That's really all they have to prove. This will most likely result in the companies settling outside of court and Keystone not bold facing 'Stone' on the can.

Stone’s legal case seems a little dubious. But it is brilliant marketing. Let’s face when was the last time you even thought about Stone Brewing much less bought one of their beers? Now we are talking about Stone.......like I said brilliant.

I don't believe intent matters, any lawyer worth his weight in salt could show that bold facing 'Stone' on a can of beer when there is literally a fairly large craft brewery named Stone could possibly be confusing to a consumer. That's really all they have to prove. This will most likely result in the companies settling outside of court and Keystone not bold facing 'Stone' on the can.

Intent matters with respect to calculation of damages if the infringement suit is successful.

Stone’s legal case seems a little dubious. But it is brilliant marketing. Let’s face when was the last time you even thought about Stone Brewing much less bought one of their beers? Now we are talking about Stone.......like I said brilliant.

Last time I checked Stone was a top ten craft brewery in the US. I think people have been talking about them.

I just think that Keystone and Stone are such different products and have such a different consumer base that this issue doesn't really mean much....

This read a bit too much like an instruction, so I did a quick search and yeah, its model jury instructions lol

http://www3.ce9.uscourts.gov/jury-instructions/node/244

Stone brewing wasting money on lawyers for nonsense that doesn't matter. I'm guessing they don't necessarily care. I'm thinking it is easy marketing to the masses; win or lose. Spread the stone brewing name to a wider audience.

Hopefully Stone's attorneys researched and did a few memos on the likelihood of success if they proceeded with a suit prior to actually filing. It is Stone's responsibility to police their IP. But bad decisions are made all the time. Doesnt seem like a great marketing tactic though, people interested in this are probably the same group that knew about Stone in the first place.

I asked a intellectual property attorney that I used to work with about this. Her response was as follows (and I am summarizing):

They may have a case if Miller-Coors has changed their packaging and labeling recently.

The actual product name has little effect if the packaging is made to emphasize the word 'stone' at the expense of the rest of the name and the Stone Brewing labels clearly emphasize the 'stone' aspect of their name, it may be a clear attempt at trademark confusion.

What people refer to the beer casually has no impact on the actual trademark, so if people who drink Keystone always refer to it as 'stone', it really does not matter.

Stone's move may be purely defensive because the failure to attempt to defend your trademark renders it indefensible in the future against other companies. This is why some companies will file suit against other brands with similar names even though they do not compete in the same markets.

I mentioned to her that the drinkers of keystone and the drinkers of Stone Brewing are likely to be a different demographic and she responded that if they are both fermented beverages, they are in the same market.

She had no opinion on how strong Stone Brewing's case was, since she does not drink much beer.

If the big boys are worried about their market share, don't they have the resources and knowledge to make better beer? Are they so locked in to their present product line? Maybe they could look it up on HBT.

Back