Stone arrogant bastard question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

socalhomebrewer

Reaction score
I want to brew a extract form of the stone AB. Some of the recipies I've been looking at use all chinook hop's. If it's one thing about stone that I know, besides great beer, is they don't use just 1 hop type on there beers. Does anyone have any recommendation as to recipes or hop schedules for the AB?

I want to brew a extract form of the stone AB. Some of the recipies I've been looking at use all chinook hop's. If it's one thing about stone that I know, besides great beer, is they don't use just 1 hop type on there beers. Does anyone have any recommendation as to recipes or hop schedules for the AB?

AB has all chinook hops in it. Stone's head brewer has confirmed this on the brewing network. In fact, I consider this beer to be one of the finest examples of how chinook taste and it was probably a pioneer in using them for things besides bittering.

You might want to check out the CYBI podcast from the Brewing Network that dkershner referred to in his post. They had a pretty in-depth analysis of the beer and provided a clone recipe of it. That being said, they were NOT able to clone it (at least to their standards).

There is also another thread on here regarding AB. A quick search should find it for you. However, IIRC Jamil specifically mentioned that the AB clone recipes found on the internet aren't the direction you want to head in. Just sayin'

They did not clone this recipe, but was very close for a first go. They suggested some changes which i'll list after the original recipe. I think there will be another show on this.

~23L batch
70% eff
og 1071
fg 1013
90min boil
80ibu rager
colour: ~27srm
yeast: WLP007 or WY1098
mash @ 65degC
80%AA

6.35kg pale/2-row
0.50kg Crystal 150 (UK)
0.25kg Crystal 15 (US)
0.25kg Crystal 40 (US)
0.25kg Crystal 80 (US)
0.15kg Chocolate (US)

28g Chinook @ 85
14g Chinook @ 45
14g Chinook @ 15
14g Chinook @ 0

Suggest changes by Jamil:
- reduce 85min addition (shoot for 70-75ibu rager total)
- halve the chocolate to 75g (shooting for ~21srm) or possibly eliminate the chocolate
- Reduce the Crystal 150 to 400g and all others to 200g
- reduce the base malt to get 7.2%abv (the original recipe came to 7.7)
- double the flameout addition to 28g
- mash @ 64
- ferment @ 20-21

Cheers guys
Let me know if ive stuffed something up!

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36315

This is what I am basing my clone for this winter off of.

From personal experience and from the reports on the CYBI episode: Even though the brew wasn't cloned (a malt complexity issue), the all Chinook hop bill is spot on. I made the clone of the recipe they provided and can't imagine getting any closer a hop profile.

Latest posts

Back