Stirring vs Swirling during initial fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalaloch

Reaction score
All recipes/books on wine I’ve read say to stir the wine every day (once yeast is added) for the initial fermentation (where the wine is in a bucket only covered by cloth).

I have always just swirled the wine because didn’t want to have to worry about contamination. I don’t go crazy swirling so it is not oxygenated. Is swirling ok and as effective as stirring?

I've never touched it in the primary after pitching the yeast right on top then covering. Diffrent strokes for diffrent folks.

I've read that one should simply push the must down in various places in the bucket. Swirling not necessary.

I think there are a number of good reasons for stirring.
It helps keep the yeast in suspension;
It helps degas - CO2 build-up will increase the acidity of the wine and will increase physical pressure on the yeast cells - both conditions add stress to the yeast;
If there is fruit in the primary, stirring helps ensure that the surface of the fruit is kept wet and so inhibits the growth of mold;
Again, if there is fruit, stirring allows the CO2 to escape and prevents the fruit forming a cap which CAN create enough pressure in the fermenter to create an explosive force.
So, sure different strokes for different folks but those strokes are not meaningless - or useless. If swirling performs the same functions as stirring then whatever floats your boat.

I haven't read much on wine making but none of the kits I have bought, including some limited quantity releases, have mentioned stirring. So I never have.

I am definitely no expert on kits, having made only one, but in my opinion, the instructions that come with kits can trump any other practice - This for two reasons:
1. If you don't follow the instructions and something unexpected happens you really have no recourse with the manufacturer of the kit. Their warranty is predicated on you following their instructions - AND
2. Kits are assembled so that even novice wine makers can very successfully produce a very reasonable wine. The kit makers have tested their kits up and down and sideways and if they don't suggest that you stir or otherwise agitate their must/wine then they have found that if you follow precisely what they instruct you will end up with a drinkable wine. But that doesn't mean that you therefore MUST use the yeast they package, use their fining ingredients, bottle by the calendar and so forth. If you know what you are doing and why you are doing what you are doing and you don't blame your tools when something goes awry then I think there are good practices and best practices and kits tend (IMO) to focus on good practice. But as I say, I would be the first to admit that when it comes to kits I am no expert. I prefer to make my wines (meads, really) from scratch.

I stir mine 2-3 times daily. I stir agressively with a wooden spoon that I rinse off each time, before and after, using.

Back