Stirring instead of shaking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babywayne

Reaction score
After pouring my beer into my primary plastic buckets instead of shaking them I open them and stirred them periodically with a sterile spoon

Not really a great idea, your introducing 02 during your fermentation and that is something you really want to avoid. If you don't want to shake the bucket get an 02 wand it's easier and more effective but what your doing is opening to door for off flavors. Your beer may be fine but I would not repeat this practice again if I were in your shoes.

Not really a great idea, your introducing 02 during your fermentation and that is something you really want to avoid. If you don't want to shake the bucket get an 02 wand it's easier and more effective but what your doing is opening to door for off flavors. Your beer may be fine but I would not repeat this practice again if I were in your shoes.
Iam real confused about pouring the beer back an fourth from my bucket to the carboy

Welcome You want to introduce lots of oxygen into the wort to help the yeast ferment it. You can shake the vessel, use a drill and an attachment that will get air into the wort, an oxygen kit etc. After that you want to keep the vessel closed. Any further addition of oxygen is bad. It could oxidize the beer and possibly make it taste like wet cardboard. (whatever that tastes like)

Welcome You want to introduce lots of oxygen into the wort to help the yeast ferment it. You can shake the vessel, use a drill and an attachment that will get air into the wort, an oxygen kit etc. After that you want to keep the vessel closed. Any further addition of oxygen is bad. It could oxidize the beer and possibly make it taste like wet cardboard. (whatever that tastes like)
Bottling my it cloud y...and there some weird things in the bucket but i bottled it..what do u think

Bottling my it cloud y...and there some weird things in the bucket but i bottled it..what do u think

I think nobody can think much of anything without a picture or a good description of the weird things.

Cloudy is not necessarily bad. How does it taste? Post a pic if you can, We cannot tell much by just the description. Too much good beer is dumped because it MIGHT be bad - and usually isn't.

Cloudy is not necessarily bad. How does it taste? Post a pic if you can, We cannot tell much by just the description. Too much good beer is dumped because it MIGHT be bad - and usually isn't.
It sit for 10 days..but when mixed in the sugar i bottled it there was a lot of stuff on the bottom

Describe where you added the sugar. The process of bottling is usually to transfer the beer to a bottling bucket leaving the sediment in the primary behind, mixing in the sugar solution and bottling right away. If you added sugar to the primary it would really stir up the sediment then be very cloudy, With time in the bottles it should clear again but you might have a large layer of sediment in the bottom of the bottles.

Latest posts

Back