Stirring dry hops extraction time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
I ferment two 5 gallon batches in a chest freezer. You cant stick your head in more than 2 inches without getting knocked out so I'm not concerned about Oxidation from stirring...plus its a slow srir

What would be the extraction time giving it a stir twice a day?

I thought I read extraction is done in hours with movement. Granted I think that was consistent movement with pumps at a brewery.

I also thought I read stirring drops it to around 24 hours or less.

Brulosophy did a text with one day dry hop with movement vs 4 days normal...nobody could tell the difference

Any insight on extraction with the occasional stir?

Why are you in such a hurry for the dry hopping? Your beer is going to take time to ferment, time for dry hopping, and time to let the suspended particles settle out, not to mention the time for the beer to mature. It's going to be a month from pitching the yeast until the beer is ready to drink no matter how quickly you can dry hop.

Next thought. You have two fermenters in the freezer. Do you use a controller on that to maintain the fermentation temperature? Which of the fermenters is being controlled and which is just running wild with no control on it or do you just control the temperature of the compartment and hope that the beers stay fermenting in the proper range? Do both fermenters go in at the same time (10 gallon batch split between two fermenters) or is one completed before the next one goes in?

Why are you in such a hurry for the dry hopping? Your beer is going to take time to ferment, time for dry hopping, and time to let the suspended particles settle out, not to mention the time for the beer to mature. It's going to be a month from pitching the yeast until the beer is ready to drink no matter how quickly you can dry hop.

Next thought. You have two fermenters in the freezer. Do you use a controller on that to maintain the fermentation temperature? Which of the fermenters is being controlled and which is just running wild with no control on it or do you just control the temperature of the compartment and hope that the beers stay fermenting in the proper range? Do both fermenters go in at the same time (10 gallon batch split between two fermenters) or is one completed before the next one goes in?
Temp controlled. Ten gallon batch all in at once. Tons of co2 coming off fermenters.
I've never waited a month for my beer. 10 days max before dry hopping. Now I'm dry hopping on day three at the end of fermentation. I stirred this batch of dry hops. I was going to go straight to cold crash after 2 day dry hop. So that would be cold crashing on day 5. Keg at day 7.

Seeing how quick I can turn a beer around....test reasons and because I'm out of beer.

My IPA's are best fresh and start going down hill after a month not getting better. It can condition in the keg a few days but when its ready its ready. Cold carbed and settled in

Seeing how quick I can turn a beer around....test reasons and because I'm out of beer.

My IPA's are best fresh and start going down hill after a month not getting better. It can condition in the keg a few days but when its ready its ready. Cold carbed and settled in

Got you on the speed with no beer on hand.

You may want to look into the LODO information as apparently keeping out all oxygen is the key to longevity for the hop aroma in IPA's. My other thought is that we do IPA's wrong for the most part. We know that they are best fresh but most beers tend to taste better with a bit of time to mature. Leaving the beer in the fermenter longer gets the maturity part, then dry hop for only a few days and get the beer kegged or bottled to have the fresh hop aroma on a matured beer.

I fermented in a chest freezer , an Oktoberfest. It was the same way . As soon as I opened the lid there was so much co2 slapping me in the face .

I ferment two 5 gallon batches in a chest freezer. You cant stick your head in more than 2 inches without getting knocked out so I'm not concerned about Oxidation from stirring...plus its a slow srir

I thought I read extraction is done in hours with movement. Granted I think that was consistent movement with pumps at a brewery.

Brulosophy did a text with one day dry hop with movement vs 4 days normal...nobody could tell the difference

Are you taking about dry hopping during fermentation? If so you don’t need to stir, the yeast is stirring it. And you’re still oxidizing it regardless of how much Co2 is in the chest freezer.

The dry hop studies focused on recirculating hops are conducted after primary fermentation is complete and in a completely sealed, O2 free environment.

There’s zero need to stir if you’re adding hops while yeast are active.

Are you taking about dry hopping during fermentation? If so you don’t need to stir, the yeast is stirring it. And you’re still oxidizing it regardless of how much Co2 is in the chest freezer.

The dry hop studies focused on recirculating hops are conducted after primary fermentation is complete and in a completely sealed, O2 free environment.

There’s zero need to stir if you’re adding hops while yeast are active.
I guess that makes sense as the beer is churning during fermentation. I've been adding hops near FG so the beer is done after a day of dry hopping and no moe churning. I wouldnt think that wouldnt be the same as a good stir?

I use a paint strainer bag in my bucket to dry hop in. THe hops are always floating on top even after a stir to get them mixed in they float to the top as a floating mound of hop mush. So theres no contact with the beer for a good portion of the hops. I feel way better stirring them in

If I'm adding oxygen in an oxygen free or close to it environment I'll take my chances

Oxidation is the enemy of hop aroma, so I'd be very wary of any process that might introduce oxygen or reduce CO2 concentration. There's a pretty good chance that improvements in hop oil extraction will be offset by extra oxidation.

Could you get the beer into the keg early and add dry hops there? That way you can give the keg a little shake or blast in some CO2 down the out dip tube to rouse the hops.

Yeah, I have seen some studies and equipment for larger breweries. I suspect it is a bigger issue with the massive fermenters at places like Stone/Sierra Nevada/Dogfish Head/etc. than homebrewers, but I could see where something similar might apply. I recall hearing a podcast where a guy brewed a big stout with additives (spices or whatever) and he used some type of low flow pump to circulate the beer and increase the flavors.

With some hop going for over $3/oz, I could see the benefits if 3 oz for 1 day gave the same impact as 5 oz for 4 days.

I would be curious to hear the results if you stirred one half and did not stir the other half.

The big commercials also tend to use equipment that allows them to dry hop without introducing oxygen, like Dogfish Head's hop cannon.

If you can put the hops in a rocket or similar and then make up a sealed recirculation loop (ideally flushed with CO2 first) then you can achieve similar.

Stirring definitely will speed things up as without stirring you're just relying on diffusion to disperse the hop oils in the beer and that takes its time. Stirring once or twice a day will certainly not have the same effect as continuous recirculation though, so one has to wonder if it's really worth the hassle.

Still, you're mistaken if you think that you chest freezer is an O2 free environment based on the burning sensation in your nostrils, all you need to cause that is a few percent points of CO2. If you took a whiff of 100% CO2 you'd pass out immediately and possibly fall head first in the freezer only to be found later by someone who's been wondering why you haven't been answering your phone the past few days. The fact you're still alive and typing is definite proof you don't have anything near 100% CO2 in there at any time.
As for the Brülosophy guys not detecting any difference, well I think you just summed up Brülosophy in a nutshell...

I would be curious to hear the results if you stirred one half and did not stir the other half.
I should have done that to test the difference, This batch has different dry hops to change them up a bit. So it wouldnt be a side by side exact test....maybe in the future I'll do a test with the same dry hops in each bucket

Back