Stinky Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's OG? I am not seasoned nor familiar with it, just started doing wine making .
I poured out the first bottle saved the second, how long will it take Bill?

What's OG? I am not seasoned nor familiar with it, just started doing wine making .
I poured out the first bottle saved the second, how long will it take Bill?

OG is original gravity - the specific gravity of the juice before adding yeast. Measured with a hydrometer (every brewer/wine maker/cider maker needs one) it tells you the alcohol potential and also tells you when the ferment is finished.

There are different off odors that can result from fermentation problems, the most common in cider is a sulfur smell from Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S) - referred to around here as "Rhino Farts". It goes away with time, anywhere from 2 weeks to several months. There are also methods like stirring, racking, or copper treatments that can help dissipate the sulfur. But if the cider is bottled, there's nowhere for it to go.

Rhino farts.. sometimes this does happen, it will go away. Lalvin Ec-1118 is a beast of a yeast, only letting it ferment for 1 week probably isn't enough. did you use potassium sorbate or anything before bottling ? im surprised you didn't get any bottle bombs.. im using EC-1118 on a few batches right now and they are still goin at it pretty hard after a few weeks.

Hi Jamesfromdogriver - and welcome.
Yeah - hydrogen sulfide tells a wine maker that your protocol was poor. It may be "normal" for some cider makers, but that's like saying diarrhea is normal. H2S is typically produced by yeast when yeast are put under stress. Some strains of yeast will produce H2S at the drop of a hat, but most wine yeast is cultured in labs to produce very little. However, poor temperature control, poor nutrition, poor rehydration will all contribute to stressed yeast and yeast when stressed will let you know.

Thanks Bernard, I hope to add some yeast nutrient to my next batch, I plan on warming the brew slightly to rid the juice of any buggys and get the sugar dissolved. To around 100 f. Will the yeast nutrient be ok to add at 100 f? Thanks

:no:We-ell cooked apple tastes like cooked apple. Wine makers tend to use a chemical called K-meta* (or when in tablet form called Campden tablets). K-meta when dissolved in water produces sulfur dioxide and the SO2 is a powerful bactericide. We use that to kill wild yeast, bacteria and in fact at stronger concentrations to sanitize all equipment (saves us from cooking fruit and setting any pectins in fruit - think jam or jelly - And apples have lots of pectins). You need to allow the gas to escape into the air before you pitch (add) yeast. We usually wait 24 hours after adding the K-meta.
K-meta is short for Potassium meta-Bi-Sulfite - Your LHBS sells this.

I used Lalvin EC 1118. I added 1 cup sugar. let it bubble for a week then bottled it and let it sit for a week. Stinky but ass kicking. Is this common? Please help.
Yes it is common. In fact EC-1118 is well known for pumping out the sulfite smell. It does disappear. Even with exacting temp control and good nutrient condition I have had the rotten egg odour with EC-1118. It is also common with many other yeasts - so the argument regarding temp and nutrient is over generalised. But don't panic. All is fine - just carry on

One week is not long enough to make good cider. I ferment mine for at least 3-4 months. Your cider was still fermenting and you trapped a lot of the offgas in the bottles. Simple as that. No chemical will fix lack of patience.

Back