Still not Burbing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pachyderm

Reaction score
I followed an Irish stout recipe perfect last night, temps were dead on. The only thing I changed was that I switched from wyeast to White Labs (?) yeast. I pitched it at around 12:00 a.m. woke up and no burbing this morning. This is the second time this happened (although, last time, it never burbed, and the beer turned out great). So what am i doing wrong?

Pachyderm said:
Thanks. I am the world most insecure homebrewer.

I think I'm up there with you. I was terrified that my last batch didn't appear to be fermenting after like 12 hours. Turns out I hadn't filled my airlock with enough liquid. Another oz of boiled water and it was bubbling away like nobody's business.

Or just a leak in your fermenter? How about Krausen? Is there a layer of stuff on top of your brew?

Same scenario for me. I've had my rookie brew in the primary for a bit over 48 hours now. After 24 hours nothing. After 36, there's about 3 inches of foam on top, so I know something is going on. However, there is absolutely no activity in the airlock. I even sterilized a second and switched it out. Nothing in the airlock, but clearly something happening in the primary.

Back