Still got small bubbles in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedalmedic

Reaction score
I have a Java Stout Brewed on 11-18 Thames Valley Propagator mixed with 2 cups DME in 2 liters water starter. I put the rest of the pound in with the rest of the malt
6 LBS dark LME
8oz Chocolate Malt
4oz flaked Barley
4oz roasted barley
and hops
I had great action in the primary and moved to secondary on 11-28
My gravity is at 10.18, I still have bubbles floating up and the air lock is has a burp from time to time.
My question is... Would it be ok to bottle at this gravity.
My Mom is here and will be flying back to RI. I would like to get some beer to my Dad and have him give it a try. I tasted it and it was good, not to sweet, kinda strong on the coffe taste, but know that will settle down.
My Mom leaves on the 19th. Should i repitch to get it going a little faster?

It really depends on the OG.

I use a general 75% attentuation percentage for most yeasts.

Since your gravity is presently 18 your OG would have to have been 1.072.

If it was near 72 then it's basically done and ready for the secondary/bottle/keg. It all depends on how clean you want it to be.

No need to re-pitch. Fermentation is a natural process that cannot be altered. Any new yeast will need to go through its 3 phases...adding even more time.

I'd say if you still have mild effervescence and your airlock is still burping, you have pretty substantial fermentation still going on. Even if your gravity seems to be static, bottling and capping now with the normal priming sugars might lead to some over carbonated beers.

I'd let the beer ferment out properly and then ship some beers to your Dad when it's good and ready.

Latest posts

Back