Still foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostforatime

Reaction score
My First keg is still pulling out more air than foam now. I have checked and replaced everything I could think of. Has anyone had a keg that for 3 days shoots out foam at best. More help needed please.

What pressure are you at?
What size line are you using?
How long is the line?
What type of tap are you using and did you disassemble and clean it before use?

It is my HB keg and have it set at 2psi on 6ft of tubing. I have a commercial keg right next to it that works just fine. I went to my LHBS and he told me to open and look in inside to make sure the dip tubes were on the wright side. Everything looks fine it is just pure air and foam.

hmmm......I wish I was up there, Id come over and help get it working so I could drink all of your beer. :tank:

Did you break down the faucets for a really good cleaning before use? And does it do the same thing when you up the pressure to say 5-6 psi??

If you have one, put a picnic tap on some hoses on the inside of the fridge. Theo and I had the same problem the other day. Finally we said screw it, we wanted to drink. So we hooked up two picnic taps and it worked fine. I know that doesnt help much, but you can still drink while you troubleshoot.

Are you sure you're not mis-reading the regulator and accidentally have it set to 20 psi? 2 psi should barely be enough to pour, much less create the foamy mess you're describing.

Sorry to ask questions on this thread but Im having kind of a simmilar problem. Its not as bad I can pour my stout into a pitcher but Im getting about half foam maybe even more. I have my reg at 5psi It has been like this for days. Im using a picnic tap with 1/4" line. Oh yeah its my first time kegging.
Thanks Don

Just solved the same promlem here. Think soda pop! shake it up let it blow and vooala it losses it's fizz. same with over carbonated beer. I took the gas line off, released the pressure on the relief valve, Shook it and relieved the pressure again. it took a couple times doing it to flatten it out so it would dispense properly.

Sorry to ask questions on this thread but Im having kind of a simmilar problem. Its not as bad I can pour my stout into a pitcher but Im getting about half foam maybe even more. I have my reg at 5psi It has been like this for days. Im using a picnic tap with 1/4" line. Oh yeah its my first time kegging.
Thanks Don
Be sure and purge your keg of gas and then adjust the serving pressure on your regulator.

mmm beer said:
I have my reg at 5psi It has been like this for days. Im using a picnic tap with 1/4" line. Oh yeah its my first time kegging.
1/4" line will likely result in an unbalanced system, especially with a picnic tap (usually a very short line length). Try 6' of 3/16" line at 8-12 psi.

Yuri_Rage said:
1/4" line will likely result in an unbalanced system, especially with a picnic tap (usually a very short line length). Try 6' of 3/16" line at 8-12 psi.
I was about to type something to this respect! IIRC, 1/4" line has a resistance rating of about 1 pound/linear foot. If you normally carb at say, 12 PSI, you need at LEAST 10-12 feet of that line to get the balance correct, which takes up more room in your kegerator. Better to go with the higher resistance 3/16" line with shorter runs.

i believe it's actually closer to .6 or so, so you would need even more length than that.

Alright the problem was the KEG was partly frozen, the down tub was frozen so only a little foam was able to pass threw. I am in the process of re-force carbing and will give a update as soon as I try a pint. Thanks everyone for the input

I finally (hopefully?) have figured out my foaming problem. My relatively new kegging setup only has 4' of 3/16 line so I'm guessing I have too short of line. Now I see 6' being suggested but is there anything wrong with going longer? I hate to get 6' and then realize I needed 7' :laughing:

AleJoe said:
I finally (hopefully?) have figured out my foaming problem. My relatively new kegging setup only has 4' of 3/16 line so I'm guessing I have too short of line. Now I see 6' being suggested but is there anything wrong with going longer? I hate to get 6' and then realize I needed 7' :laughing:
Actually, a great way of balancing your system is starting off with longer line than you need, then trimming by 6" at a time until you like the results. Too long a line will result in very low dispense rates. Start with 9' - cut as necessary to achieve the perfect pour.

Back