Still bubbling but slowly....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johow

Reaction score
I made 3 gallons of blackberry jam wine about 6 months ago. It is nice and clear now after several rackings and I am thinking of bottling soon. I tasted a sample today and it is a little tart but not bad and I kinda like it. But I would like to sweeten a bit or at least most of it. So yesterday I added Potassium Metabisulphite and Potassium Sorbate as per the instructions on Jack Kellers website. What I don't know is how long does this require to stabilize before I can add some sweetness and how much sweetness should I start with. The wine also seems to have just a hint of fizz to it. Today it was bubbling at a rate of once in a minute and a half but that was right after I moved I and took my sample so I don't know if it had been doing this regularly. I would think after 6 months that all fermentation would have been completed. Especially after adding those chemicals yesterday.
Anyway just looking for opinions so I can make a decision....

You can sweeten at any time now.

I can't tell you how sweet to make it, as I have no sweet tooth at all and my preference would be far different than someone who likes things like soda and juice so you have to do it by taste.

One tip- I'd take a sample out and make a simple syrup and sweeten then to different levels. Then take the SG of the one you like best, and sweeten the whole batch to that SG. They key here is to sweeten it just a little bit less than you love- as it seems to get sweeter in the bottle even though the SG doesn't change. So, if you love it at 1.008, sweeten it to 1.006, as an example

Oh, as far as the bubbling, it should have stopped but if not, splash rack at least once before bottling, assuming the wine is fermenting dry and the SG hasn't changed for at least the last 30 days if the wine has been in a relatively warm place.

Ok thanks, I'll splash it about when I rack it to the bottling bucket. I almost like it the way it is so I'll probably bottle a few before I add a little sweetness but don't think it'll take much sweet syrup to do the trick. According to Jack I should wait a couple weeks after sweetening before bottling so I'll bottle a few then sweeten and wait a while.
Gonna try your oatmeal stout of this holiday season��

Ok thanks, I'll splash it about when I rack it to the bottling bucket. I almost like it the way it is so I'll probably bottle a few before I add a little sweetness but don't think it'll take much sweet syrup to do the trick. According to Jack I should wait a couple weeks after sweetening before bottling so I'll bottle a few then sweeten and wait a while.
Gonna try your oatmeal stout of this holiday season��

I wouldn't bottle a few and leave the rest; I'd bottle all at one time. The reason is so that you don't have too much headspace. Unless you rack some of the wine to bottles, and then rack some to a smaller carboy, the risk of ruining the wine with oxidation is pretty great. Normally, you'd rack to the bottling bucket, and bottle immediately.

What I meant by leaving the rest is leaving them unsweetened. I'll bottle them all at once but do a few before sweetening.��

Back