Sticky texture

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandw12786

Reaction score
So after almost 1 year of brewing I've started to churn out some stuff that I would actually buy. I'm trying to figure out an odd feeling I'm getting when drinking my beer though. It's kind of a sugary/sticky texture, like drinking fruit juice or something. Kind of starts sticking in my throat after a couple. The beer tastes great, its just a texture thing now. Anyone else have a similar issue that they figured out, or know what this would be?

These are all grain batches if that helps. Guessing I could be mashing too high but not sure.

the thickness/body/mouth feel of beer usually comes from dextrin. you hit it right on the head. mash at a lower temperature next time (5 degrees lower than you currently mash) and see if it fixes your problem.

Typically around 1.050 and finishes around 1.010 - 1.012

Hmm, then unless BOTH your hydrometer and mash thermometer are out of whack, then I have no idea! And the chances of that are slim!

My next guess would be water. I don't know squat about water chemistry, but I know if you brewed a batch with bottled water it would at least rule it out or show is the issue!

1.010 - 1.012 is actually pretty thin beer with not much dextrin. i take back what i said earlier.

i have no idea what you you are saying about thick mouth feel, but fruity taste comes from letting the yeast get too hot while it is fermenting. my suggestion is to brew a batch on a cool autumn day when you can be sure that the room temperature will be 65 degrees each day then see if the taste goes away.

get one of those strip thermometers that have adhesive backs and stick it to the outside of the fermenter half way between the bottom of the bucket and the top of the water line.

Going down from a 1.050 to 1.010-1.012 isn't all that thin. That's mid gravity territory. But I do agree that it shouldn't have an under-attenuated mouth feel at that FG. It sounds like something is being added that retains some long chain sugars. But even then,at 1.010-1.012,it wouldn't be that much. Maybe the op just isn't used to extra malt flavors?

Back